Family Travel Forum Teen Travel Writing Scholarship 2013
For 2013, Family Travel Forum (FTF), the web's leading trip-planning resource for family travelers, and the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW), a non-profit organization that promotes responsible journalism and encourages the conservation and preservation of travel resources worldwide, are offering a scholarship to encourage teens to share travel blogs about their communities.
In 2013, we ask you to tell us about the community that you know best.
The rules of the annual FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship are simple: Submit a blog about your community -- where you live, or a place you identify with -- and why tourists should visit there. What is the first thing you would show them? What are some interesting cultural, historical or fun attractions people should see? Who should they meet? What should visitors do, try, taste or listen to when there? Use words plus images and/or video to share your community with travelers. Your travel blog can be funny, serious or contemplative, as long as it's informative.
Try your hand at being a convincing travel journalist, and make us all want to visit your community.
The top three winners will receive cash awards. Twenty-five finalists will win honorable mention awards and travel gifts.
Watch our video and then please read the Rules below carefully to ensure eligibility. Good Luck!
FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarships
- First Place: $1,000
- Second Place: $500
- Third Place: $200
- 25 Honorable Mentions: Travel prizes.
- 1 Honorary Award for Best Photography
- 1 Honorary Award for Best Video
All winners will receive a Family Travel Forum Certificate of Commendation and all complete submissions will be published on Family Travel Forum's MyFamilyTravels.com website.
FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship Rules
Eligibility for FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
- All applicants must sign up for the MyFamilyTravels.com community prior to submitting an essay.
- Applications will be accepted between April 15, 2013 and July 22, 2013
- Applicants must be ages 13-18 and attending grades 8-12 as of June 28, 2013. Graduating seniors are only eligible if you submit your completed travel blog on or before June 28, 2013.
- Applicants must be attending junior high or high school in the United States or Canada, or an American international school abroad, or be enrolled in a U.S. homeschool program.
Submission Requirements for FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
- Travel blogs must be no more than 600 words in length.
- Entries must include text and be illustrated by at least one photo, digital artwork or video.
- Travel blogs must include practical details so that others can follow in your footsteps. Details should include names of attractions, museums, themeparks, resorts, restaurants, the local beach, etc. with URLs as appropriate.
- Travel blogs must be submitted online using the FTF Teen Travel Scholarship Essay Submission Form. Please create a strong, descriptive blog title, and use the editing tools provided to make paragraph breaks or add punctuation, and to upload your photos and or video.
- All applications must be received no later than 11:59pm ET on July 22, 2013. Late entries will not be considered.
- Your Travel blog must be your original creation and must not have been previously published.
- Multiple submissions are not allowed and we accept only one travel blog per entrant.
If you are notified that you are a Finalist, you will be contacted after August 26, 2013 and asked to send a copy of your transcript from your school, as well as a permission letter from your parents if you are under 18. More information about the Parent Permission Letter is available on the FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship FAQ page. These documents must be received by email, fax or snail mail by September 6, 2013.
Judging the FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
Travel blogs will be judged on originality, quality of expression, and a sense of place, as well as in accordance with standard rules of English grammar, mechanics and spelling. A panel of esteemed professional writers and editors from the Society of American Travel Writers will make the final selection of winners. You may read more about past Scholarship Judges online.
- All applicants will be contacted by email when the Judges have completed selecting the Quarter-Final round of essays and posted them online. Please update your online Account Info if your email address changes during the scholarship period.
- Only Finalists will be contacted for follow up documents to verify their eligibility.
Increase the likelihood of winning by following our writing tips in this video:
The FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship Winners
If you are not contacted and wish to view the winning entries, please visit MyFamilyTravels.com after September 24, 2013, when the 2013 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and Honorable Mention essays will be announced.
The work of past Scholarship Winners is currently posted on the MyFamilyTravels Scholarship Page.