I LOVE NEW YORK Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
Author: Fran FalkinTags : New York, North America, Students, Teens, USA
Why do YOU Love New York?
Submit your 600 word NY-themed travel blog for the chance to win a cash prize!
THE 2014 FTF TEEN TRAVEL WRITING SCHOLARSHIP, ILNY SCHOLARSHIP AND NY TRAVEL WRITERS SCHOLARSHIP ARE NOW CLOSED. GOOD LUCK TO ALL APPLICANTS!
Calling all teens! New York State's Department of Tourism is looking for great New York State stories and we'd love to hear yours! Apply for this scholarship, blogging about your most fun, interesting, and unforgettable visit to our great state.
I LOVE NEW YORK is partnering on the Scholarship with Family Travel Forum, which will award three cash prizes for the best, New York State-themed, teen travel blogs as follows:
*1st Place - $1,000
* 2nd Place - $500
* 3rd Place - $250
Plus, all teen travel writers who enter have the chance to serve as a New York State Teen Travel Ambassadors, and have your blog submissions considered for publication on the official I LOVE NEW YORK blog.
Selected blogs will also be published on Family Travel Forum's MyFamilyTravels.com website.
I LOVE NEW YORK Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
Rules, Eligibility and Submission Requirements
- All applicants must sign up for the MyFamilyTravels.com community prior to submitting an essay.
- All applicants must complete their profile on the site and submit a photograph of themselves.
- All applicants must be ages 13-18 and attending grades 8-12 as of June 27, 2014 in the United States or Canada, or at an American international school abroad, or be enrolled in a U.S. homeschool program.
- All applications must be received between April 1 and August 1, 2014.
- All New York State-themed travel blogs must be no longer than 600 words in length.
- Entries must include text and be illustrated by at least one photo, digital artwork or video (which the applicant must own the rights to, and by submitting, automatically authorize both Family Travel Forum and I LOVE NEW YORK the permission to post.)
- Travel essays must include practical details so that others can follow in your footsteps. Details should include names of attractions, museums, theme parks, resorts, restaurants, the local beach, etc. with URLs as appropriate.
- Travel blogs must be submitted online using the FTF Teen Travel Scholarship Essay Submission Form (see below). Please create a strong, descriptive blog title, and use the editing tools provided to make paragraph breaks or add punctuation, and to upload your photos and/or video.
- All applications must be received no later than 11:59pm ET on August 1, 2014. Late entries will not be considered.
- Your travel blog must be your original creation and must not have been previously published.
- Multiple submissions are not allowed and we accept only one travel blog per entrant for the I LOVE NEW YORK Teen Travel Writing Scholarship.
- I LOVE NEW YORK reserves the right to remove the New York State Teen Travel Writing Scholarship blog posts at any time.
- The opinions and/or actions of each of the New York State Teen Travel bloggers are those of the individual bloggers only. They do not represent the views of Family Travel Forum or the sponsor I LOVE NEW YORK.
- Employees of Family Travel Forum, the sponsors - I LOVE NEW YORK/Empire State Development and their advertising/press agencies, and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to participate and win. The term "immediate family" includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as "in-laws," or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.
- Publicity: Use of Personal Information - Participants understand that the Family Travel Forum and I LOVE NEW YORK may disclose personal information obtained from participants in the Scholarship to sponsors and use such information for marketing and other purposes, only upon receiving prior written consent from participants. Information collected in coordination with the Scholarship shall not be sold to third parties under any circumstances.
- If you are notified that you are a Finalist, you will be contacted by and asked to send a copy of your transcript from your school, as well as a permission letter from your parents if you are under 18. More information about the Parent Permission Letter is available on the FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship FAQ page (see below).
I LOVE NEW YORK Teen Travel Writing Scholarship Judging
Travel blogs will be judged on originality, quality of expression, and a sense of place, as well as in accordance with standard rules of English grammar, mechanics and spelling. Initial judging will be performed by a team of Family Travel Forum interns, seasoned travel writers and professional editors.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will be selected by representatives from New York State's Division of Tourism.