Traveling with a newborn - need advice

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Traveling with a newborn - need advice

Help! We will be flying across the country with our newborn soon - he will only be 5 weeks old. Any trips from seasoned moms out there?

gregstewart's picture
Traveling with a baby that

Traveling with a baby that age actually isn't that bad. They sleep most of the time, so they don't need a lot of entertainment. Keep her out of the sun as much as possible, feed her when she's hungry and change her when she needs a diaper change.

I loved using the Baby B'Air on a long flight! We had an extra seat and it let me lay my daughter down and know that even if I drifted off she couldn't fall off the seat (she was attached to my seatbelt).

I have traveled with both my kids from newborns and I have to say it is so much easier when they are babies, as long as they have plenty to drink and some spare clothes, nappies etc then its not too bad. I have actually found travelling with kids is the most difficult when they start toddling as theyt get bored very easily and you can't reason with them.
Happy Holidays!

lauras's picture

Here's a great article that covers which airports have play areas

[url]http://www.familytravelforum.com/how/advice/11216-Family-Friendly-Airpor...

traveling with baby

I traveled with my boys a lot when they were babies and never had too much trouble. At a very young age, I would mostly be concerned with making sure I had enough formula, unless your breast feeding, and extra clothes. I mean clothes for you and the baby. Think about the possibility of being delayed and what you would need. Extra diaper, wipes, formula, bottle brush (to clean bottle at destination), wipes to clean surfaces, etc. A favorite blanket is a comfort to the child too and a good way to keep the warm without using the dirty airplane throws. As my boys got older, we always tried to find out where the kid areas were at the airport. Many have a gate terminal or a special room with an indoor playground, this can be a great way to keep your kids active during a lay-over or delay. Wear them out before they get on the plane. Good luck traveling.

lauras's picture

Consider yourself lucky if your baby sleeps on a long flight! Mine never did, or one would sleep and the other would be awake until just before we landed. Then the baby that slept was up all the next night while the other one slept. It took about a week to get them both adjusted to the time change between US West Coast and Europe. Just steel yourself!

Here's a helpful article on traveling by air with babies

[url]http://www.familytravelforum.com/who/toddler_baby/parenting_tips/11163-M...

I totally agree with eclipsepearl about not waking the baby to feed her during take off and landing...if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I have traveled with both my babies on long plane rides- to the UK and to Asia, from about 5 weeks to 5 months and now older. Both babies, although completely different, did sleep a majority of the time. And also, I have a few readers whose babies did the same, especially when they are under 3 months old. I think it's the best time to travel with babies. I hate to say it, but after flying a lot, I mean a lot (about 6 or 7 times a year on flights that are longer than 10 hours) I would have to say that ALL American carriers are crap when it comes to babies or kids. Foreign ones are much more accommodating for children. I even had a flight attendant tell me she couldn't wait to retire because she was so sick of kids. And another flight attended on United recommended I give the baby cough syrup. But, I digress. The sucking thing, was recommended by their pediatrician, so during take off and landing, it couldn't hurt. One thing people don't always remember is the germ factor. We are so worried about our babies not crying on the plane that we forget what germ tube those things are. I always bring clorox wipes and wipe everything down as well as bring a light blanket if you know you will be sitting next to strangers. We are lucky as we don't have kids who cry on the plane the whole trip, but if yours does, just remember, it's a completely different environment, screw the other people on the plane if they complain- and take your flight with ease. Your little one will surprise you.

My mother told me she used to put us in overalls and then she would put us in her lap and tie us to her seatbelt! Don't know how safe it was but it must have made her feel better. She told me that once when she took two of us on a two hour plane trip to see my aunt when we were really little that my brother and I cried the whole trip so she cried too! She said it was really stressful and then it was almost impossible to get off the plane trying to carry us and all our gear by herself. My brother was five months and I wasn't yet two.

Just to let you know, if you are flying with any U.S. company, this type of seatbelt is not allowed. Lap children have to be loose in your lap and not attached to you in any way. This could be very dangerous if there were forward impact.

Double seatbelts that some foreign companies use are banned in the U.S. Canada and Germany for safety reasons. Never buy a Baby B'Air as it is mismarketed and banned by at least one airline. It's overpriced for what it does (hold a child in turbulence). A baby carrier can do the same thing.

I second the recommendation of the sling. Bjorns are hot, uncomfortable and you can't sit down in them (let alone breastfeed). Sling, by contrast, are sanity savers for flying but again, it has to be removed for take-off and landing (although can be worn during the cruise portion of the flight).

No, babies don't have to drink during take-off and landing. This is a common myth. In my 13 years as a Flight Attendant, I rarely saw children having problems with their ears. Take your babies to the doctor's before flying. If their ears are clear and infection-free, they will do fine on the flight. I have never, ever done anything special with my own three children on countless flights to get them to drink during those times. Please don't wake a child unnecessarily (they often fall asleep on the tarmac).

Hope that helps!
flyingwithchildren dot blogspot dot com

lauras's picture

What about the new seatbelts that are available that you put on your baby and then attach to yourself? I saw them on a Britair flight.

lowra's picture

Hmmm, I completely disagree that your baby will be asleep most of the time. When I crossed the Atlantic with my baby she stayed awake most of the time, finally falling asleep as we landed. I was just on a 2 hour flight and the baby in front of me cried much of the time. So you simply can't predict what will happen. All you can do is nurse or bottle feed on take off and landing to help manage the change in pressure which may give them ear pain - the swallowing helps equalize it -- and prepare yourself for what could be an exhausting flight. Once you've arrived it will be worth the trouble. And who knows, your baby might be the one who is perfect!

most of the time, your baby will probably be asleep the whole flight, seeing that he. so you just need to worry about the take-off and landing, the baby would feel uncomfortable during those points. I suggest that you give him his milk during those times.

Better watch the music box on an airplane - it will drive your fellow passengers crazy! I was on a plane last week with a mother who gave her child a book with an electronic element to it and it was horrific!

We flew when our son was about a month old. Generally, he is a very content baby so we weren't worried. You just have to do your best to keep him happy. Bring bottles, pacifiers, music box, or anyting else that quiets him down. And remember on take off he might begin crying as his ears pop. Giving him his bottle should solve that.

Good luck.

missnyoo (not verified)

I used a baby b'air on our flight, and carried my daughter with a baby biorn harness (she was tiny in it, and I had to use plush blanket to make sure she would be nice and secure...looking back, a sling would have been a lot safer. Also, bring a couple changes of clothes, incase of motion sickness. Yes, I have personal experience with it so be sure to bring a spare set of clothes for yourself too. There are some good checklists out there for mom's traveling with infants that you should tap into as well. good luck.

anhdaola (not verified)

a sling or baby carrier was extremely helpful for us.

lauras's picture

Take more supplies than you think you will need - extra diapers, lots of changes of clothes, etc. Flights are often delayed and you will be glad you brought them. Bring plastic bags, too, for dirty clothes.

If you're breastfeeding it's so much easier, but on take off and landing nurse your child or give him or her a bottle -- the sucking helps with the ear pressure that can build up at those times of the flight.

Some parents like to buy a seat for their babies so they can sit and sleep safely in their carseat strapped into the airline seat. If funds are no problem, I recommend this for your own comfort and the babies safety in case of severe turbulence.

Unless you're baby is colicky and cries a lot, five weeks is an easy time to travel with a baby.