Mother/Teen Daughter Trip Ideas?

59 posts / 0 new
Last post

I am looking for ideas for a trip this summer for my teen daughter and myself. She's 16 and doesn't really like resort teen programs or anything organized. Plus I would like to spend time together as much as possible since she'll be leaving for college in a couple of years. We like to ski together in the winter, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for where to go this summer. Thanks!

phil-lucchese's picture
If she likes skiing in the

If she likes skiing in the winter then she isn't a teen that's afraid of the outdoors and attached to video games or the computer all day :) Why not try whitewater rafting? Cumberland Falls has a trip that's safe, but exciting - just enough white water to make it fun without scaring off those who aren't too sure about it. Sheltowee Trace Outfitters is a great company to check out!

i had a great time overin

i had a great time overin this  tel aviv boutique hotel .recommends to any kind of trip. also great prices 
http://www.hotelbtlv.com/content.php?id=1064

I think the best place for

I think the best place for summer would be Europe

I will suggest Mexico for

I will suggest Mexico for this summer.   Summer is a low season so not only will you benefit from great rates and some super awesome deals  like buy one night and get the next night free. You can enjoy colorful cultural festivals , interacting with animals, take advantage of various things  as this is low season. Weather in Mexico in the summertime can be quite pleasant.

Hi Taylor, I think you

Hi Taylor,

I think you should visit the Greek Isles on a cruise; your daughter will also like this. Experience what cruising is really about courtesy of Costa Cruises-Magica. Explore lands rich in romance languages, classic architecture, food, art and music. Along the way, savor fine wine and world-class cuisine that rival any found on these timeless shores.

nformation you have shared

nformation you have shared here. This thread is so interesting, I enjoyed it a lot and will refer my friends also...

I am also sixteen years

I am also sixteen years old. And when my mom decided to so a mom-daughter trip. Shee took me to Europe. It was such a great experiace. Specially being able to baond with her and do girl stuff like shop together. It was great to spend time with my mom over there. I really bet your daughter would like to go. 

Vegas for mother Daughter Trip!

Hi,

I have a younger Daughter, and my husband and I just got back from a family trip to Vegas. Believe it or not there is so much more to this city then Gambling and boose! We did the Grand Canyon tour that my husband booked along with massages and the pools at the hotels are like being at a 5 star resort and don't forget about the food sooo good! Also, this trip was affordable thanks to my husband booking through some local company at Galavaniter.com. Anyways, after reading your post I hope to do a Mother Daughter trip to Vegas one day, so my daughter knows I can be a cool mom when shes a teen too! Good Luck at whatever you decide and remember it doesn't matter where you go...as long as you too are buliding memories together! -Isabella

Mommy Daughter trips

I love this idea!  I wish my daughter and I were at the point where we could go on a big trip.  I am going to post mommy baby trips that can be made.  Our girl is only 6 months.

admin's picture
mommy baby trips

thanks very much for sharing your trip ideas, 6 months is such a young age that we are happy to hear you are traveling with her.  tell us where?

Thanks for being part of our Family Travel Forum community!

Hey!

I would love to take here to Italy.  Call me a wannabe Tuscan Sun gal but the people and the food seem amazing!

Thanks for the excellent

Thanks for the excellent assistance everyone. But, one of the elements I liked about the Vacation we went on was that I didn't have to cope with discovering night time amusement or discovering a position to eat. I could check out stops but I would always have a trusted, fresh crib.

It is good your daughter is

It is good your daughter is 16, she will be able to book spa treatments. I would recommend using the resort spas, yes they are a bit more pricey, but you can usually just book one treatment and then spend the entire day or half day at the spa itself, enjoying lunch, the pool, jacuzzis, and all the pampering that goes with it. I usually recommend the Marriott Camelback Inn spa, but they are getting ready to undergo a big renovation this coming year. You might consider the Westin Kierland Resort...great pools, spa and right across the street from Kierland Commons, which is a lovely shopping district with good stores, dining and charm.

I hope you have a nice day!

I hope you have a nice day! Very good article, well written and very thought out. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts in the future

Idea :)

Hey, there! It is great that you want to bond with your daughter and especially at that very sensitive age. My suggestion is to travel with her in Europe and my personal favourites are Italy and France. The point of my suggestions is that traveling abroad will be a great adventure for her and I am sure for you, too. Also, you will be the cool mom that took her to that amazing Eurotrip. If you don't have big budget, you can  always start planning now and everything will be on reasonable prices for the summer! Good luck!

Thanks for the great advice

Thanks for the great advice everyone. But, one of the things I liked about the Cruise we went on was that I didn't have to deal with finding evening entertainment or finding a place to eat. I could visit ports of call but I would always have a reliable, clean place to sleep.

Windz
South Africa would be a great

South Africa would be a great mother/daughter gateaway.  South Africa has so many beautiful sceneries that everyone can enjoy.  South Africa's scenic beauty, magnificent outdoors, sunny climate, cultural diversity and reputation for delivering value for money have made it one the best holiday destination. People of South Africa are ready to show you our country's natural wonders, draw you into the rhythm and soul of Africa, give you close encounters with our regal wildlife and take you on an unforgettable journey through our ancient and recent past.  [url=www.southernsun.com]Accommodation South Africa[/url] will make your stay worthwhile, its affordable yet luxurious, just the perfect gateaway.

Anonymous (not verified)
mommy daughter day

hi well one thing you could do would be to go hiking in underground caves up in the mountains there really pretty and there made that waycheeky

Part of the show an easy

Part of the show an easy drive away - you have to do some research on it. Park City is probably some festivals. But the area is mountain biking and other outdoor activities.

Move into Oregon's Portland

Move into Oregon's Portland next if you're interested in the punk culture, quench your thirst in the northern vine-lands of California and San Francisco Bay and finally San Diego shows you what road trip America is all about.

[URL=http://www.sanjosemovers1.com][I]san jose movers[/I][/URL]

I love beaches and I think Caribbean islands is a nice choice for family vacation. These islands have many resorts that offer lot of entertainment activities for kids as well. One can enjoy lovely beaches, variety of water sports, and lot more. Some of the resorts also offer infant care.

We did this too!

I took our daughter on a trip to Disney world when she was 18, right before heading off to college. For us it was the perfect choice because everything was taken care of. We stepped off the plane to a bus (Magical Express), to the resort, and from there just rode buses to the parks. No driving at all. And, with just the older daughter, we did some more grown-up things - one of the highlights was having afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian Garden View Tea room. It was really special. There's so much more than just parks there.

I love the spa idea! Especially Sedona where at most hotels you get the star treatment and a relaxing and rejuvenating experience. The Grand Canyon is not too far off and this experience will definitely provide memories to last a lifetime!

he Science Sorcery offers 10 to 12 year olds great activities and a ton of fun. If you have a little one that is under 3, don't worry because there is a great nursery available as well. In addition to all the fantastic activities aboard the ship, the day trip to Castaway Cay is dedicated to children's activities so mom and dad can relax on the beach all day.

Looks like you have received a few places to check out. Budget is always a big thing for our family to think about so we do alot of outdoor activities that don't cost much. We just so happen to live in a beautiful area, Northern Michigan. That sure helps keep costs down but still have a great time. Good food, beaches and wildlife are all right out our back door. If you are looking for a resort type getaway I would try Boyne. Horseback Riding, Disc Golf, Waterpark, Hiking Trails, Mountain Biking, Spa, Golf, Zipline, and a ton of other activities. Have fun this summer!

My wife took our oldest daughter on a driving trip up the Big Sur coast last summer and they both loved it. Sounded a bit slow-paced for me, but they both want to do it again this summer.

todobigo's picture
Getting Signature to Show up

This is for lauras or anyone else out there that can answer it. I was curious if there is a trick to getting your signature to show up. It says show signature, but it does not. It does not really matter a ton to me, but I am just curious if there is something I am doing wrong.

Hi waikoloa,

I can see your signature on the bottom of your posts. Please send the Admin a note if that's not what you intended!
thanks for joining us,
Kyle

I went to Mexico, Tucsan and New York with my mother for one-on-one trips when I was a teen... it was a blast. One was very beachy... one a bit cultural and filled with desert treks, and the other was eating, soaking in culture and feeding off of the NY buzz together. I think that the key is going somewhere that feeds your common interests... offers something new to both of you, and that has various activities that you will remember for a lifetime, not to mention quiet time to chill and talk... depends how far you want to go... but a mix of outdoors, city and culture could be anywhere from Barcelona to Montreal, to Miami,etc...

Our site lists all of the suitable family attractions and you can enter zip-code to list nearby and search by attraction type. Hope it's of use to you all:

[url]www.familydaysoutusa.com[/url]

Thanks,

This is for lauras or anyone else out there that can answer it. I was curious if there is a trick to getting your signature to show up. It says show signature, but it does not. It does not really matter a ton to me, but I am just curious if there is something I am doing wrong.

Yeah, spas always seem to go over well. There is one is Austin, Texas that is supposed to be the best one out there. Hawaii is always a fun place for girls.

lauras's picture

I went on a mother daughter trip once that wasn't that successful at first - my daughter was in junior high and I really irritated her at that time. We were in Seattle - which is a great city - and she started to get a bit tired of all of my educational activity choices.

We went to the art museum, the library saw some fish ladders and locks, took ferry rides, etc., but the trip didn't really gel until we went shopping. I hate to admit it, but once I bought her a few new articles of clothing, her mood really improved.

Now part of my travel budget involves shopping expedition purchases. I try to make it work so that instead of buying school clothes at home or something new at the local mall for her, I buy her clothing on vacation. She thinks she's getting something really special and i'm still breaking even. Now that she's older I don't have to bribe her much with shopping, but she still loves it.

Although I'm a father and not a mother, there's still some great ideas here for me and my daughter, thanks all.

When I was in high school my mom and I took a mother-daughter trip to Los Angeles. We had a really great time because it wasn't structured and we could do whatever we wanted.

My favorite things that we did was check out all the vintage stores around LA and Burbank. There is a really fancy store with all of these vintage couture gowns that was amazing to just look at, and then there were other, more affordable ones that were great for shopping. The coolest store was probably one of the ones in Burbank that sold clothes from the sets of popular TV shows and movies. Vintage stores are a great option because shopping is always fun (especially when your mom buys you things!) and vintage stores make the shopping a little more unique and unusual.

An LA art museum had this awesome event where they were open late one evening and you could come in and make things out of all of the strange materials they had supplied on some big tables. We had a very good time making bizarre collages. Once we were done with our collage, we went into the museum itself where they showed these strange, short, home made movies and had drinks for sale. It was nice to have a chance to be in LA at night and be able to people watch in a cool place without having to be 21!

We also went to the Getty museum which had that awesome European furniture section for me, and then once we were done (or I got bored) we took one of the classes that the museum offers. We did a drawing class where the instructor talked for a little bit about shading etc, and then we were on our own to wander around the gardens and draw whatever we wanted. This was especially nice because it's something you do by yourself but with a group of people, so it can be a great break if you feel like you've seen too much of your mom!

While we definitely did some of the more typical LA things like walk down Melrose and window shop, but it was nice to have more unusual things to do. On the way out we stopped by Sprinkles cupcakes and got a variety to "take home and share with my dad and brother" but they didn't really get very much since the cupcakes were amazing! Hope this helps!

One more trip that was really fun - going to visit colleges - so we had a purpose to our trip but also did fun things in between. When we visited Boston colleges we toured the city and then also went to Salem and looked at all the witchy things. I tried to intersperse visiting colleges with city fun or side trips to interesting places or shopping trips. We had a blast.

New York City would be really great for mom& daughter vacation. I guess your daugter will enjoy shopping together, trying different restaurants and just enjoying things 2 women can enjoy. Also musical is a lovely idea. New York is modern, vital and enjoyable, exactly what most young girls love. If you want to go around and see something else in neighbourhood you can take car hire to be more mobile and independent since you said your daughters doesn't like any planning. You can try to check [url]http://www.decodecarhire.co.uk/car-hire/united-states/new-york.html[/url] for your car hire, as far as I remember they have quite a lot of rental desks in NY.
Hope you both enjoy your vacation!

lauras's picture

I would hesitate to choose a cruise trip with your daughter unless you go with another mother and daughter. We have found that our teens found other teens to make friends with and they spent their time with them, meeting us just for meals. If it's just the two of you on a cruise you might find yourself alone quite a bit.

Busy busy...

New experiences are the best thing to do. What about watersports, spa treatment or shopping. If you are looking for things to do in LA why not try Seaworld?

http://www.gawwk.com/travel/guide/things-to-do/united-states/resorts-and...

Thanks for all the great ideas - I feel like there are enough fun suggestions in these posts that we could travel together for a couple of decades and not run out of things to do!

lauras's picture

One trip my daughter and I took was with another mother-daughter combination. We went skiing in Colorado and having another mother daughter duo along made it really fun. My daughter and I still got lots of time together but we also had someone from our own generation to hang out with. Traveling to and from Colorado gave us some alone time and we had alone time occasionally on the chairlift - here's an account of the trip from our parent site, familytravelforum.com

[url]http://www.familytravelforum.com/who/teens_students/11577-Exploring-Aspe...

I'm a 17 year old girl and the best trip I have ever been on was safari in Kenya, getting to spend a week or so in the camp and going on safari everymorning, eating breakfast as the sun rises in the Mara, by a watering hole where elephants are drinking,
then eating lunch in the same sort of fashion. Best trip ever.
I have a grandmother that owns a safari company called As you Like it Safari's, so whenever I went and visited her we would do something like that
I also recomend going to Mombasa, Kenya, right on the beach, the Turtle Bay beach Club is where I stayed, everything is all included it was an amazing experience

My mother and sisters and I started a tradition of taking a long weekend just before school started each summer. IT started when we were teens and we would go to a different city that was a drive away and we would each pick out someplace we wanted to visit. Of course mom tried to get us to do cultural activities like museums, which we did and sometimes appreciated -- but we always went to some sort of theater performance and spent the very last day shopping so that some of our school clothes were from a different place than the mall in the town where we grew up.

We still do this although we don't shop for school clothes anymore! It has been a really fun constant time to connect. Now we often have to fly where we are going (some of us anyway) but we put aside money for this throughout the year and my mother always likes to get a two-room suite somewhere so we can all be in the same room more or less.

If you're outdoorsy people, you could try a river rafting trip of a kayak trip. There would probably be other people on the trip but you'd have your own tent together in the evening and you would never forget the experience! Or go to a dude ranch somewhere so you'd have plenty of activities but also time together.

My favorite memory is of mother/daughter road trips that weren't too long but long enough to get into some good talks.

lauras's picture

A friend of mine just did a three-day personalized Surf Camp with her teen daughter in Santa Cruz, California and they had a blast. There were several camps to pick from and the did one where they had a two-hour lesson every morning and afternoon. They stayed in a resort hotel right on the surfing beach so it made it really easy.

I know other places have surf camps and surf lessons too, and there are many in Hawaii. You'll also find them in San Diego, Huntington Beach and in other California beach towns. You can opt for private lessons, all day lessons, or surf camps. Cocoa Beach Florida has surf camps too - and I'm sure there are plenty of other places.

Spa vacations are the best!

My mom and I take one each year. We try to go somewhere interesting though we have variety every day. We like to go to beach locations especially -- and we go out to dinner and just chill. IT's really fun!

My wife and our daughter went to New York City for a few days and went to musicals (I hate them so was happy to miss them!), shopped in vintage stores, which my daughter loves, walked around, visited museums, relaxed in cafes and had a fabulous time. My wife did quite a bit of research before they left and our daughter did a little bit. They bought the musical tickets in advance, but planned the rest of the trip on their way as they traveled and while they were there, which made it seem spontaneous.

lauras's picture

Don't forget to take a look around our parent site, familytravelforum.com for all kinds of ideas about where to go with teens. Also travelbigo.com, another one of the sites affiliated with these boards, publishes travel stories by teenagers - so you can read them and see what different teens have to say about various travel experiences.

Here's a link to one of my favorite teen travel stories (it won a prize in our teen travel writing scholarship essay contest) - and there are thousands more!

[url]http://www.travelbigo.com/contents/618-The-Halfburger-Trip[/url]

How a bout Niagara Falls!

It's beautiful here. There lots of things to do and see. The nightlife is exciting, too. Make sure you book ahead and ask questions about location to falls and amusements, as well as parking fees that may apply to your hotel. It can be fun but add up fast. Hotels have discount coupons in the lobby for everything. Use them, you'll need them.

My daughter and I go on a ski trip together every year with another mother and daughter. We all ski together part of the time and then the girls go off part of the time. Because of the different chair lift configurations, I always get some one on one time with my daughter. Last year we went to Breckenridge which we liked so much we may go back next year. We have been to Whistler BC, Vail, Squaw Valley, and Deer Valley.

I always try to do something outdoorsy with my teen daughter. We both like to kayak so sometimes we'll go kayaking together one day and hiking another. THe hiking is a great way to talk as it's really relaxed and easy. We've done road trips together to visit people and that's been fun, although I learned to keep the trips pretty short so I didn't drive my daughter crazy. But I really liked having her captive with me in the car! We talked about all kinds of things and we listened to her music and listened to an audio book too. We have also gone on mother/daughter ski trips. But not everyone is sporty. I do think it's important to set up traditions for mother daughter trips so it's something you can do into the future -- and as long as possible!

Pages