what are the best travel snacks for car t ravel?

44 posts / 0 new
Last post

After this summer's family road trip I have vowed to find some travel snacks that don't make a total mess of the car! So I'm looking for ideas about people's favorite travel snacks, and I'm not talking about popcorn or cotton candy. ANything sticky or that breaks in little pieces doesn't count!

lesliystewart's picture
Diffrent type of people like

Diffrent type of people like to use diffrent type of transport services. There are many best travel snacks for car travel like Pretzels, Triskets, crackers, small sandwich cut into quarters, pre-shelled nuts, cold drinks and many more.

nitinslash's picture

I take cold drinks and lots o f chips such as Patato chips, Chilli chips etc.

johnbarrymore's picture
How about some apple slices?

How about some apple slices? or maybe some celery sticks in a small zip lock bag.

Jinny's picture
I only keep lemon water

I only keep lemon water bottle with me, during the car travel. I always vomit whenever in car travel so that lemon water is very helpful for me.

water. banana. apple. nuts

water. banana. apple. nuts (no salt). hard cheese (organic). cooked egg (free range organic).  carrot (washed, bite sized),  grapes.  ... a spray bottle with water to cool down the pet if traveling with any, it can also be used to caefully spray water into mouth if dog already got overheated.  we also spray us humans if it gets too hot - it's nice! :-)

I always love pretzels,

I always love pretzels, grapes, granola bars, fruit snacks and carrots. some r just plain tasty but some r also healthy. good luck!

I always carry snacks,

I always carry snacks, chocolates, cookies and some softdrink or fruit juice with me during visiting.

I think Grape tomatoes is a

I think Grape tomatoes is a best snacks during car travelling. Actually a fruit, these miniature tomatoes, when ripe, make a delicious snack. This is a no-mess, grab-and-go snack, and one you can reach your hand in the bag for over and over.

i think best snacks during

i think best snacks during car travelling is 

chips, coldrinks,sandvichs, fruits etc....

Chips, nuts, beef jerky,

Chips, nuts, beef jerky, sometimes sandwiches and whole bottle of soda.

I always carry potato chips,

I always carry potato chips, cookies, chocolates and some softdrink or juice with me during travelling.

Whether your summer vacation

Whether your summer vacation consists of a day at the beach or a cross-country road trip, one thing is for sure: You got to eat. Give your wallet and your worries a vacation of their own with these delectable travel-ready recipes — all are portable and pack easily in the cooler or keep well at room temperature.

We take care of all that if

We take care of all that if you want your car in good condition always. exterior design and internal decks are not as important as engine parts, suspension or wheels or brakes. we have to take care of these things.our favorites are the pineapple rings,fruit leather and apple chips from Trader Joes. I also bring along carrot sticks, grapes, and almonds.

Pretzels?

I like having pretzels, but they can get crumbs everywhere.  

For me biscuits, cookies,

For me biscuits, cookies, bread and bottle drinks justa to have some food to eat for the kids.

http://hellorelaxation.com/relaxationvacation/index.htm

snacks

trail mix and water bottles are pretty good for travel. beef jerky's not a bad idea either.

Anonymous (not verified)
i always love pretzels,

i always love pretzels, grapes, granola bars, fruit snacks and carrots. some r just plain tasty but some r also healthy. good luck!

My son loves Gold Fish. He eats them like they are going out of style and he says they are the best for traveling in the car.

[QUOTE=johnnysegal;21512]Dried fruit is always a great idea, you can get them at Trader Joes or any local market type of area. Juices and water are much better than sodas, only because caffeine can make some people agitated and fidgety. A box of cereal can do wonders as well, much healthier than chips and last longer as well. Don't forget to stop at places in order to get a feel for the places you are traveling through.[/QUOTE]

Phillippine Dried Mangos are like candy. I pack them on every trip I take whether it's on the road, a hike in the mountains, or floating down the river. Seriously, a good choice for snacks.
And I strongly agree the idea of cereal. I go with Frosted Mini-Shredded Wheats (sweet but whole grains!) or Kashi makes this cereal that's a healthy version of Cap'n Crunch. It's called Honey Sunshine (cheesy name, I think). Good looking out!

Junk foods and canned drinks for me....well if possible I also want a pizza and burger...:)

FTFstaff's picture

Dried cranberries continue to be a favorite in-car snack for my kids, and they are not too messy. WE sometimes mix them with various nuts to create our own trail mix.

Hello you all!
thanks for sharing such a great links full of tips. keep it up...great work

todobigo's picture

we like fruit leather too and for a real treat on the way home, those donut holes! Refillable water bottles for everyone. And for the front seat, definitely that great granola from Trader Joe's. yummm

todobigo's picture
Frozen water bottles, do you worry about the plastic?

I used to do this too, freeze those soft plastic water bottles you get at the grocery, but then someone warned me that the plastic really degrades when you freeze it.

Gives off some weird chemicals, I think that's what the big scare was over Nalgene water bottles last year. Even though they are better made, when heated in a dish washer, they too were giving off chemicals. Do you think it's safe to freeze water bottles over and over?

We have these pressed fruit bars in our local stores that I stock up on for the kids to eat. Very little mess and it's good food!

Beef jerky is good too! I'm not a fan but my oldest and my BF gobble it up like the turkeys they are.. ;)

I love Pistachios, but they can be a mess in the car.

Yeah, I like fruit snacks too.

My vote is for dried Mangos. Phillipa brand is the best. I also pack almonds. Blue Diamond has a nice array of flavors. With things like dried fruit and nuts you don't have to worry too much about 'shelf life.'

NicSIV's picture

For dry snacks, I like Goldfish crackers - they have enough zing to keep you interested but aren't too messy. It's also nice to have a cooler with easy to eat fruit, like green grapes which are really refreshing. Also in the cooler, I put a few water bottles and a couple sodas in case you need the caffine to stay awake while driving. I usually freeze two of the water bottles and put them in there. The frozen bottles keep the other ones cool and then they are nice and cold when they melt later in the trip.

Eat while traveling - without the mess

I try to pack items that won't make a huge mess in the car. Grapes are easy to wash and put in a ziploc, I often times pull them off the stem to make them easier to eat. Apples, washed and cut. Carrot sticks are an easy vegetable. Cut up bell peppers are good too. For the sweet tooth, I like licorice or mini bags of m&m's. Water is a must as well. Be sure to keep paper towels and wet ones in the car for sticky fingers or minor clean up.

beef jerky or something heavy for the passengers and for the driver eat some fruit or something, the heavy food will put them to sleep and the fruits and vegetables will keep you awake.

Our favorites are the pineapple rings,fruit leather and apple chips from Trader Joes. I also bring along carrot sticks, grapes, and almonds. No peanuts allowed! Those things get crumbled and stepped on. I also bring along animal crackers and those wafer cookies. Lots of wipes!

I like Beef, chips, pizza and fruits! Don't forget to bring water...

i think i have already voted for marshmallows on this thread...

kristiinaandfriends's picture

Definitely stuff like Jaffa Cakes, because they don't really crumble, and they're not so small that they'll usually get stuck between the seats :D

I also try to get the 100 calorie snacks at the store, I hate that feeling you get after eating too much junk on the road

[url]www.orlando4holidays.com[/url]

My kids really like fruit leather - they think it's a fun treat. and we have popcorn in the car on the way home even though it's a huge mess - we eat it the last day so once we get home we vacuum out the car anyway so it doesn't matter.

i always buy each kid a couple of candy sticks or lollipops too for a treat. we relax out sugar standards when we have long car trips. and we stop for ice cream often! i often pack a couple of towels to lay over the kids when we eat in the car from a fast food place or have ice cream. it saves on laundery! i guess I'm pretty relaxed about making messes in the car as i just shovel it out when i get home.

Dried fruit is always a great idea, you can get them at Trader Joes or any local market type of area. Juices and water are much better than sodas, only because caffeine can make some people agitated and fidgety. A box of cereal can do wonders as well, much healthier than chips and last longer as well. Don't forget to stop at places in order to get a feel for the places you are traveling through.

what about fruit snacks? I try to always have some fruit so that we do not always pick the sugary or salty snacks...
it does not always work though!!!

lauras's picture

and animal crackers in the cute little boxes that look like circus trains!

In the grocery store they have a ton of new snacks that come in resealable cups. There are Ritz crackers with cheese, Cheerios, chips ahoy cookies and a bunch of others. The great part is that they fit in a cup holder and are resealable.

lauras's picture

Peanut butter and jelly is an old standby for us - it sticks to the ribs and the bread keeps the hands from getting sticky as long you don't over apply the pb and jam. We also have lifesavers and tootsie roll pops for treats. But quite honestly, we just shovel out the car and vacuum thoroughly when we get home.
Beef jerky and fruit leather are relatively tidy, carrot sticks and grapes too. Just pack plenty of wipes and napkins and have multiple garbage bags. We do avoid popcorn and peanuts in the shell though!