Father Teen Son Trip Ideas

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Father Teen Son Trip Ideas

My husband and our 15-year-old son are planning a trip together for a long weekend this fall and are looking for ideas of what might be fun - general types of vacations or specific places to go.

THey are sort of outdoorsy and have enjoyed camping in the past and have done a little fishing. They also enjoy sports events and that kind of thing. Anyone out there had a particularly successful father son trip experience?

Depends what you are really

Depends what you are really into I suppose, my son and I are both into Brazilian jujitsu, so I found a great training camp Thailand and we went off their for a month. His mom join us after two weeks and we had a wonderful time. Fact I would say was the perfect bonding time.

I went through a gap year company called Xtreme Gap Year , the gap year is a is an English term from the UK for a sabbatical, but they had pretty good trips for adults as well (normally they send the way people younger than me).

The London soccer ideas quite nice, although it's pretty expensive.

Travel with older teen on spring break

I would like suggestions for a week vacation in March for spring break with my 16 year old son. He is outdoorsy but we are not interested in a camping week.

admin's picture
Spring Break with Outdoorsy Teen Son

My teen son loves adventures but isn't especially athletic. He loved one trip where we went to Belize (much cheaper than most of the Caribbean) and stayed on the funky island of Ambergris Caye and learned to snorkel.  It is a very barefoot place, lots of casual seafood places, pretty quiet but you can rent golfcarts to drive around and he loved that too.

I think any activity you can do together would be fun, and if his friends are going to warm sunny places over spring break, then he would like that too. Cancun is another great choice if Mayan ruins and some of the local Mexican culture would interest him. There are great local eco-underwater parks, fun music and it's the site of MTV Spring Break shows... a big plus for his age group.

Thanks for being part of our Family Travel Forum community!

I have a 12 year old son and have been think about this lately, we have gone to the Monster truck shows and dirt bike races locally but I want to do something special for him next year. We are both huge NCAA basketball fans, Go Bluedevils!. But I have been thinking about getting tickets to next years Final Four in Houston,TX. I think he would absolutely love it, plus I don't have to worry about my daughter getting jealous because she hates basketball. I would suggest finding out what he likes best and go with that, if you have done things locally try to find something that is one step bigger and make a trip out of it. If he likes museums go to Washington DC and check out the Smithsonian Institute. If he likes the NFL follow your home or favorite team to an away game. Good luck on your search.

Thanks

Thank you for sharing this valuable information. Right now I'm busy with my project and then I'm planning to go to Canada . That's why these days I'm too busy with my documents and can not afford to search for these same things. Keep sharing…

My husband and I are outdoorsy, you have to be or you would go crazy in the winter. Not sure where you are located but Northern Michigan has 4 seasons and tons to do if you don't mind getting outside. Check out Boyne as a resort landing pad and go from there. Tons to do at the resort or in the area. [url]http://www.boyne.com/ThingsToDo/[/url]

lauras's picture

Another friend of mine took his son to a film festival - he was an older teen so it was ok to take him to films that had more adult themes. His son isn't interested in athletics at all, so that was an excellent choice!

I think planning a trip around a sporting event can be good. And then get some outdoor activities in too, like bike rides or bike tours, horseback riding, etc. Or, you can take lessons in a sport, like golf or tennis. Or learn to surf somewhere together. That would be something to remember always!

Camping and hiking the White Mountains of NH is a great father son trip. You can hike part of the Appalachian trail, fish, sight see or just relax and take in the scenery.

lauras's picture

Sometimes the simplest pleasures resonate with teens. Here is an accounting of a father-teen sons trip from our teen travel writing scholarship contest. The essay took second place in 2007 and is one of my all time favorites. It so perfectly captures the pleasures of simply spending time together on the way somewhere.

[url]http://www.travelbigo.com/contents/618-The-Halfburger-Trip[/url]

I would suggest Yosemite national park. It's a beautiful park with lots of trails to hike through. The fishing is good and the weather is always breath taking.

My husband likes to take our son on a fishing trip each year. They aren't really big fishermen but it's a fun thing for them to do together in the summer. They've gone to the ocean and gone on a fishing trip there and have fished in lakes. THey keep talking about going ice fishing in Minnesota one year as a novel experience!

lauras's picture

A friend of my son's went with his father to London to see some soccer games. THey are both soccer fans and the boy plays so they had a great time. I know other father- son teams that have gone to cities to see their favorite sports team play and then enjoyed what the city had to offer.

Another father-son duo I know went to Cooperstown New York to the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's a gorgeous town with more to do than just visiting the Hall of Fame.