Babies on Boats - when is it safe to bring them?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Babies on Boats - when is it safe to bring them?

We are avid sailors and want to take our baby on a sailing trip as soon as possible. Does anyone know when it's safe to go -- how big they need to be? Or does it matter?

incredible time and create memories that last forever

Asyou move from city to city, taking in the iconic and famous landmarks - China Home Stay Tours, you’ll get a taste of Chinese life. But what does a Chinese home feel like? What’s it like to shop in local markets for groceries and to cook at home? What is the daily routine of waking up and preparing for a day at work or school? Please follow us to dive deeply into Chinese life with our Home Stay Tours.

According to me It is not

According to me It is not much more safe.

I think it depends on the size of the boat and your child's temperament, too.

[QUOTE=Ron;23288]There are many avid sailors who raise their children aboard boats, so "never" is not really the best answer about when it's safe to bring your baby aboard.

If you look at the cruise ships, many of them restrict passengers to kids above 24-months,but I think that's for the convenience of other passengers without kids, not for the kids' safety, don't you?[/QUOTE]

I agree..

Ron
Ron's picture

There are many avid sailors who raise their children aboard boats, so "never" is not really the best answer about when it's safe to bring your baby aboard.

If you look at the cruise ships, many of them restrict passengers to kids above 24-months,but I think that's for the convenience of other passengers without kids, not for the kids' safety, don't you?

It is never safe

As long as they can were a life jacket. They make them for infants, my little girl had one and hated it!

lauras's picture

Babies need to be old enough to wear a life jacket onboard a boat. Parents need to wear them too. The US Coast Guard says that 80% of boat accident fatalities could have been prevented if the individual had been wearing a life jacket.

The Coast Guard also says do not strap children in a carseat onboard a boat. If the boat capsizes, the carseat will sink quickly.

Make sure your baby's life jacket is Coast Guard approved and will keep your babies head up. Your child should be at least 18 pounds before wearing one. Be sure to test it in a controlled environment, like a swimming pool, to be sure your child's head stays above water.

Do not put your child in a swim suit with built in floats as if she is dumped overboard she might land head first in one.