Waiting to Travel

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Waiting to Travel

My husband and I were avid travelers for 16 years before we had our little miracle 6 months ago. My husband does not want to take our daughter on a plane until she is potty-trained and walking. He is overwhelmed at the thought of all the stuff she needs on a everyday basis. So out-of-the-country traveling in his mind will be much easier when she is bigger. My question is: how difficult will it be to start traveling with our daughter after she is 2 or 3 years old? Any advice will be helpful.

Baby Travel

I agree with some of the other posts that it is easier to fly with a baby on the younger side rather than a toddler. When we had our first born, he was a breeze to fly with. I typically would just have him in a soft front [url=http://www.playoutdoors.com/category/baby-child-carriers.aspx]baby carrier[/url], I think it was a Boba, and he would sleep mostly through short flights and just chill through airport travel. However, we did not take any flights longer than 4-5 hours, so can't vouche for longer than that. Now that he is a few years older, constant entertainment is necessary on flights and his younger sister is the easier one to manage. 

My daughter had flown 4 times by the time she turned 1. We are originally Canadian, so that means lots of trips "home" from California where we now live. It's a 5 hour flight and she's always been fine. We went to New Zealand with her when she was 10-months-old and it was no problem. Babies actually do not need that much stuff. Much of what you probably use at home (bouncer, swing, jumper, etc) is to keep her occupied so that you can make dinner, clean, etc. You won't need to be doing that while you travel, so you don't need the equipment. We found an umbrella stroller doubles as a highchair and our trusty Phil&Teds Travel Cot worked great to keep her contained while we showered and got ready for the day and also as a place for her to sleep. All while weighing under 6lbs. I would do whatever you can to tire her out at the airport before you board. (Run/walk/crawl laps-chase her if necessary!) And then just go! And enjoy!

Thanks for allowing me to comment

ParadiseHunter's picture

I agree with many of the posts here that talk about traveling being easier with really little ones... particularly if you have something like a baby-bjorn where you can just strap them to your chest.

We travelled with our 3 month old, who was waaaayy easier to keep happy than our 5/7 year olds. In terms of ear pressure, my wife tried breast feeding on the way up and down, and we never had any problems.

In terms of equalizing in young kids, I tried a product once (the name eludes me currently) that works like a little ear plug, and slows the pressure adjustment.

I bought in an airport gift shop when I simply HAD to travel with a bad cold. I took a bunch of decongestant and tried these. I was worried about blowing out my ears on descent, but had no problems. I'm not sure if they have kid sizes, but they looked like they would fit a lot of different ears. I'd HIGHLY recommend them... if only I could remember the name.

It is easier to travel with a baby (non walker) than a 2 or 3 year old! My son is 3 and he doesn't enjoy sitting still for very long. Plane ride, car ride or otherwise. It was much easlier traveling when he was a baby. Plus-you think they need all kinds of stuff-but you would be amazed at how little you really need to travel with. Good Luck.

[url]www.orlando4holidays.com[/url]

Plan Your destinations for the right choises, check the destinations travelguide on hotelbreak

Regards,
James

todobigo's picture

With a 14-month old, it's pretty important to let her get up and stretch her legs a bit. Depending on the length of the flight, she will probably be happy to stay in her seat through takeoff and then some, playing with the tray table, raising and lowering the shade on the window, exploring the plane walls, looking at other passengers, etc.

If she's in a center seat between 2 of you, you can always lift up the arm rests, prop the carseat up in front of her, and let her stretch in the seat. Meal service will keep her busy too, and having some soft toys and things to play with should keep her busy a while longer. A trip to the bathroom will consume another 10 minutes, as these tiny areas are very appealing to little kids. Then, hopefully, a nap!

But don't be shy about walking up and down the aisle with her (unless of course drinks are being served.) Flight attendants are usually great with little kids and many other passengers will want to say hi to her.

Don't forget lots of extra diapers and a change of clothes for her and any adults; motion sickness can occur for any reason. We've all been there.

As for the ears, if she has a bottle or sippy cup on take off and you can get her to take one during the descent, her ears should be okay. That sucking motion really helps them relieve the ear pressure. Hope that helps.. and glad you're on your way somewhere!

Thanks for the posts. We are thinking of possibly traveling in October. Our daughter will be 14 months old. Just concerned about keeping her in her seat and the ear pressure at that age. Any suggestions on that?

You can absolutely travel with a small child. You travel differently and pack differently but the change of scenery is worth it especially as new parents.

I think it is easier with a 6 month old than a 2-3 year old as well. They don't move much and they don't have to be taken to the bathroom all of the time. My children are 3 and 5. We have taken a number of trips. The last big one was from SFO to Sydney, Australia when they were 2 and 4. They did shockingly well on such long flights. We figure if we can go that far we can go anywhere.

To make things easier we have chosen places where we can drink the water until they both understand you don't drink the bathtub. On thing that you can't control is jetlag. We took one to Europe at 15 months and he stayed up all night and slept all day. Needless to say, we have tried to manipulate any vacation to cut down on jetlag. Also, if you can buy a seat for your child it gives them a place to sleep in their carseat. If we couldn't buy the extra seat for our sanity, we didn't go.

Happy traveling!
Erica

My wife and I have flown a couple of times with small kids.... once with an eight month old on a 2 hour fight for a friends wedding once with 3 kids (4, 2 1/2 and 2 weeks) on a 6 hour flight (this was when we moved for a job transfer). It wasn't the most enjoyable experience ever, but it didn't discourage me planning other family trips (we followed it up with a 2 week driving trip).

We did have some issues with the landings, as my older kids had trouble with the pressure differential resulting in some crying, but I've known 8 year old who've had the same problem. We eventually found something that helped (I want to say sucking on a candy). On each flight the smallest passenger was actually the quietest.

In my mind its actually easier to fly with a 6 month old rather then a 2 to 3 year old. When we flew with the 8 month old she spent 45 minutes staring quietly at the passenger across the aisle, then fell asleep. With a 3 year old you need to ensure that they're constantly entertained or they resort to tantrum time. We brought coloring books, a DVD player, snacks and a small toy and it was barely enough for the 6 hours.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

todobigo's picture

You're hearing from a mom whose son took his 1st flight at 2 weeks old, so I don't think you have to wait till your little miracle is 2 or 3. First of all, she can fly free as a lap child till she's 2 (free in US, maybe 10% fee on international flights) so I think you should convince your husband to just "try" it on an upcoming trip.

Of course, carrying diapers and a change of clothes, snacks, bottles, carseat, stroller all seems overwhelming, but maybe you can train your husband with trips to the local mall or a road trip to the in-laws. It's not so bad, believe me, and when you fly you'll see lots of people doing it.

My favorite flight was Baltimore to LA and there was a mom who had 5!! Kids under the age of 5 traveling with her. She was very calm and the oldest kids held the hands of the littlest ones while she carried one and pushed one in a stroller. So, it can be done. (She was smiling.)

If you decide not to fly with baby till she's 2 or 3 that's okay too. Just like with introducing foods, languages and anything new, it can be a bit harder to get them to accept jet lag and a change in routine/nap time etc if baby's life has always been the same routine, but it's not a big deal. Getting out into the world with kids is worth the hassle, and the more you do it, the more you and she (and your husband) will think of it as an adventure to look forward to it rather than dread it.

Welcome to the boards, we hope you'll visit often.