My trip to Haiti

Beach, Caribbean, Christmas Holiday, Spring Break, Watersports, Winter Getaway

When I was twelve years old, I moved to the U.S. from Haiti to live with my father. At 13 years old, I decided to have an organization that provided clothes, food and school supplies, to children that reside in a small town in Haiti called Fonds des Blancs. I used to spend some of my summers there to visit my grand parents when I was younger. When I was 15 years old, with the help of my father and other people, I got the opportunity to go to Haiti and do just that.


We told everyone we knew to donate money, clothes and other things. Then we created a group on Face Book, and before we knew it people we did not even know were giving us money from $100 to $400. My house was filled with donations from clothes, food, school tools and toys sent by people who wanted to help me achieve my dream. It was amazing to know that people really cared about Haiti. So that summer, I and my father started our expedition. I was excited about the idea of going back home and finally start my journey of helping others. We didn’t know what to expect, but we called a church in that town and told them to gather about one hundred children to receive all of the things we had. Within days, we got phone calls from that church on how excited the town was upon our visit. I and my dad were allowed two bags each, so we managed to squeeze all of the clothing donations in three bags, and then take a plane from Houston to Miami and from Miami to the capital of Haiti.


The flight was long and shaky. For parts of the ride, I and my dad went over what exactly we were going to do.

“I know, I know.” I said constantly to assure him.


We immediately rented a small van and headed to Fonds-des-Blancs. I never thought the hills were so stunning before. Regardless of all the negative media attention that my country gets, there are a million places where it is just breathtaking. As the car drove closer to the church, I became nervous and scared. There were people walking towards the church as we were passing by them. After a few minutes, we finally arrived to destination. There were few people sitting outside of the church. It was a very small church colored green and white. One had to climb a few stairs to walk in the door. We all got out of the car and started to unload. The priest came to help us out and thanked us for coming. It was filled with children from every age. They were all sitting down filling up all of the seats. I hugged my relatives that were already there, and then gave a speech. It was about who I am, why I’m here, and what I’ll do in the future. Then I opened the bags and they all lined up to receive outfits. This took about one hour. We took pictures and my grandmother cooked plenty of rice and beans for everyone at the church.


That day was truly magical. We didn’t want to leave, but it was getting late. I never thought I would be doing what I did. I will always remember this.