Traveling parents can rest more easily knowing they are prepared for almost anything, in the event something happens to themselves, their children or their destination.
With terrorism, mysterious respiratory ailments emerging in exotic countries , wide-ranging blackouts, hurricanes and other natural or unforeseen manmade disasters ready to strike, seemingly at any minute, traveling families will rest more easily at night knowing they are prepared.
FTF’s Basic Travel Safety Kit
- Any required medication for family members.
- Battery-powered flashlight for each bedside, with spare bulb and batteries.
- Battery-powered radio.
- Whistle – preferably one for everyone in the family.
- First Aid Kit – stock disinfectant and Band-aids first.
- Dust mask or hood – keep out smoke, pollutants, insects and other airborne drek..
- Glow stick or small flare.
- Bottled water – if you’ve got a long drive ahead, or purification tablets if you travel light.
- Energy bars or freeze-dried food. Snacks are always essential.
- Duct tape for those hard-to-stick needs like torn luggage, eyeglasses and broken shoelaces..
- Sewing kit for mends, splinter removal and other crises.
- Emergency blanket – we travel with a featherweight Mylar one and use it for picnics or keeping luggage dry when its warmth is not required.
- Pocket knife – put your favorite Swiss Army knife into your checked luggage and it will still come in handy.
- Tissues or wipes – always an essential with kids whose hands should be kept clean at all times.
Thanks to the women’s travel site, Christine Columbus.com, and The Magellan’s Catalogue for their thoughts on what to include. Items are available for purchase on magellans.com, where FTF members get a 15% discount.
Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.