Are you wandering the world or intending to do so? Have you just returned from the best adventure ever? Back from a semester abroad or a volunteer vacation? Or just gone somewhere — near or far — that opened up new ways of looking at the world? We want to hear about it.
The Society of American Travel Writers (SATW), a non-profit organization that promotes responsible journalism and encourages the conservation and preservation of travel resources worldwide, is offering a scholarship to encourage young writers to share their travel experiences in words and images. MyFamilyTravels.com is proud to host this effort.
The rules of the 2012 Young Travel Writers Scholarship are simple: Submit your blog about where you went and what it meant to you, what worked and what didn’t work, what you learned from the trip, or how it changed you. Bring our community of travelers into the world you visited. It can be funny, serious, contemplative, whatever… as well as informative.
The top winner will receive a cash award. Three finalists will win honorable mention and a travel prize. All submissions will be published on Family Travel Forum’s MyFamilyTravels.com.
Please read the Rules below carefully to ensure eligibility. Good Luck!
FTF Young Travel Writers Scholarship Awards
- First Place: $150
- Second Place: Travel Luggage from Ricardo of Beverly Hills
- Third Place: “Dream Destinations” (Time/Life Books)
- 3 Honorable Mentions: 4 Tickets to any Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum or Odditorium around the World
All suitable submissions will be published on the MyFamilyTravels.com website.
FTF Young Travel Writers Scholarship Rules
Eligibility for Young Travel Writers Scholarship
- All applicants must sign up for the MyFamilyTravels.com community and verify their email address prior to submitting a blog
- Applications will be accepted between February 15, 2012 and March 15, 2012.
- The deadline for submissions is March 15, 2012 at 11:59pm ET.
- Please note that this scholarship is now closed. Our judges are hard at work.
- Applicants must be ages 18-26 as of February 1, 2012.
Submission Requirements for Young Travel Writers Scholarship
- Blogs must be no more than 800 words in length.
- Please entitle your blog in the title field. Do not call it “Young Travel Writers Scholarship.”
- Entries must include text and be illustrated by at least one photo, digital artwork or video.
- Blogs must include practical details about your travels so that others can choose to follow in your footsteps. Details may include names of resorts, hotels or cruise ships, the local beach, organized volunteer and student tour programs, URLs for places you went, etc.
- Register for the site and log on.
- Entries must be submitted online using this Create Blog link. Please use the editing tools provided to make paragraph breaks or add punctuation, add tags, and to upload your photos and/or video.
- All applications must be received no later than 11:59pm EST on March 15, 2012.
- Your travel blog must be your original creation and must not have been previously published.
- Multiple submissions are allowed.
Judging the FTF Young Travel Writers Scholarship
Submissions will be judged on originality, quality of expression, and a sense of place. A panel of esteemed professional writers and editors from the Society of American Travel Writers, which promotes responsible journalism and provide professional development for its members, will make the final selection of winners.
All applicants will be contacted by email when the Judges have completed selecting the winner and honorable mentions. Please update your online Account Info if your email address changes during the scholarship period.
The Young Travel Writers Scholarship Winners
If you are not contacted and wish to view the winning entries, please visit MyFamilyTravels.com after April 9, 2012 when the winner and honorable mention blogs will be announced.
Applications for the sixth FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship for ages 13-18 will be open on April 16, 2012.
Thanks to our 2012 Scholarship Sponsors!