S.I.M.S.A (Safe In My Sisters Arms) - My Family Travels

It’s August 5 of 2007, the first day I went to camp. It’s was an all girl’s camp called S.I.M.S.A so I knew I wasn’t going to like it. All girls in one room together were going be a lot of attitudes flowing around. My cousin Tayna and I had to get up early in the morning to be at this church called Shekinah. This was my first time going to this church and my first time meeting all the girls. At that time I was very unsociable and I didn’t like to meet new people. I walk in the church with all my bags and I set by myself in a chair. Some of the girls introduced their selves and tried to make conversation with me but I wasn’t really feeling it.

Before we all left the adults fed us different types of breakfast food. We then loaded our bags and ourselves on the coach bus. I sat all the way in the back of the bus, didn’t really want nobody sitting with me but this girl name Ashriah Curry sat with me. I was 12 years old so that means Ashriah was 10.  We talk about a lot of stuff such as the schools we went to, how we think the camp was go be like, why we wanted to come, and etc. Everybody then fell asleep and woke up when we finally got to the camp.            

When we arrived we put all of our things in this big room. We all did a game to get to know each other names and to know one thing about each other, which was the name of our favorite cookie. We were then put in different cabins by age group, I was put in the youngest group. My cabin name was Ifeoma which means beautiful.

Every day of every hour, till the time we woke up to the time we went to sleep, we always had something to do. So to me it was never boring. We had to wake up every morning for the past five days at 6:00 to get in the showers and to get ready for the day. The one thing I didn’t like was that the bathroom was outside and it wasn’t that much hot water. We had to walk from our cabins to the bathroom to wash up, brush our teeth, and to go tinkle. Every shower curtain and every toilet seat we pulled up there were bugs everywhere.

We ate three times a day and walk up the hills eight times a day. We went cannoning, crate climbing, bow and arrow shooting, and swimming. We had bible study every morning and tribal time every day. In tribal time we either learn more about each other, talk to other girls in the different cabins or just try to catch up on our sleep- which I was doing the most of my tribal time.

We had sad days and we had good days. The sad day was when we all heard each other truths and what really goes on in their lives when no one is around, we all shared a story and we all shared tears. One of the good days was when we had talent night, which showed every ones talent from singing to dancing.

This experience really helps me through life. It showed me that I can really open up to people and express my feelings. We cried together we stump together. I learn new things, meet new people, tried new things and saw a lot of the wilderness. For five days I was really safe in my sister’s arms. Every year I go back to meet new people and to just have fun.

Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.

Comment on this article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.