Rent a furnished condo at a major ski resort in the mountains this summer. After the snow is gone, you can get a top value, fun-packed, eco-conscious, and enlightening discounted vacation. Given such a long school break for the kids, families often look for a summer rental in a region with enough activities to occupy all ages for a few weeks.
If your family doesn’t have relatives living out in nature, or a country house of its own, consider checking into one of the well-stocked condos, townhouses or apartment units available at the major North American mountain resorts — and let the hills come alive with the sound of fun.
Between the yuck of mud season (as the snowmelt weeks are fondly known) and the glories of fall foliage (when rates rise again for leaf-peeking packages), many resort areas offer an entertaining line-up of free concerts, themed festivals, town celebrations and activities.
Active families with school-age kids will find that intermediate ski slopes become great biking and hiking trails; ice skating rinks turn into town fishing ponds; and ski gondolas provide mountain bike transport and a magnificent view from the top.
Mountain Towns are More than Cheaper by the Dozen
Thanks to our colleagues at Destination Hotels & Resorts Mountain Collection, a distinct group of properties that provide a four-season retreat for leisure and business travelers in Aspen, Jackson Hole, Lake Tahoe, Snowmass, Suncadia, Sunriver, Telluride and Vail, for giving families a dozen reasons for passing on the beach and escaping to the mountains this summer:
- Affordability: Off-season, mountain resort rental rates are 40%-60% less than for comparable units in the winter primetime season.
- Comfortable Weather: Warm days and cool nights. Need we say more?
- Privacy and Independence: Multi-bedroom units provide space for every family member. Self-contained resort villages offer safe, car-free play areas for children.
- Mother Nature: Mountain vistas and roaring rivers frame nature’s rugged beauty, instilling an appreciation of nature and environmental awareness.
- Green Travel: Spend the summer relying on pedal or foot power. There’s no need for a car because everything is within walking or biking distance.
- Outdoors Adventures: Choose from a variety of family activities including hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, horseback riding or golfing — to highlight a few.
- Weatherproof Fun: Rainy days or any day, visit area museums, art galleries, and elegant concert halls for a taste of world-class culture and learning.
- Dining Pleasures: Treat your family to a diverse culinary feast by trying new recipes in your condo, eating at myriad local restaurants, and making all-natural mountain picnics.
- Personal Wellness: Check out the town’s health spas, yoga classes, and local gyms for drop-in programs. Make over the whole family with unique styles available at area boutiques and local shops.
- Engaging All Ages: Themed festivals and free concerts, area marathons, bike races, golf tournaments, fishing hallenges, photo contests and more allow everyone to be a participant or spectator.
- Renewal: Escape from everyday chores and ordinary activities and experience life with altitude.
- Be Different: Expand your family’s traditions by choosing mountain bliss over the same old beach vacation.
Trip Planning Details for a Mountain Getaway
To learn more about an area’s activities, childcare options, recreation programs, restaurants, and other establishments, check out that region’s local tourist office website. You’ll find many helpful pages on local activities and recommended outfitters for river trips, mountain bike rentals and more at the websites for California Division of Tourism, Colorado Tourism Office, Oregon Tourism Commission, Utah Tourism and the Wyoming Business Council, Tourism and Travel Division.
Alternatively, contact the Destination Hotels & Resorts Mountain Collection (866/831-3222), where you can learn more about individual properties. They have a large inventory of rental units and seasonal incentives for families to make sure that everything stays rented.
Also, make sure to check out home/condo rentals this summer. Deals are frequently offered in the summer months. Check out Wyndham’s Vacation Rentals for availabilities in Colorado, Utah, and Idaho.
Photos courtesy of Wyndham Vacation Rentals and Wikipedia.
Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.