As the 4th of July, 2012 fast approaches, so does the 100th anniversary of L.L. Bean, Maine's famous adventure outfitters. Their annual Summer in the Park schedule is being augmented in its honor, and L.L.Bean invites families to help commemorate its century-long run as an American institution. The flagship L.L. Bean store is located at 95 Main Street Freeport, Maine 04032 (877/755-2326).
L.L. Bean Is Having a Party and Everyone Is Invited
The Hometown Celebration is four days of free and family-friendly concerts, outdoor activity demonstrations, sports star appearances, ice cream samplings and more that will lure you away from regularly scheduled backyard BBQs.
The morning of Wednesday, July 4th kicks off events with the annual L.L.Bean 10K Road Race and Freeport Fun Run/Walk. Extend your stay beyond Independence Day to experience the full line-up of events through the grand finale of fireworks on Saturday, July 7th.
The Complete L.L. Bean July 4th Festivities
Wednesday, July 4th
- 7 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. 35th Annual L.L. bean 10K Road Race and Freeport Fun Run/Walk
- 10 a.m. Freeport Fourth of July parade with the L.L. Bean Bootmobile
- 7:30 p.m. Concert with country singer Jo Dee Messina in Discovery Park
Thursday, July 5th
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Kayak and paddle board demonstrations from the Outdoor Discovery School
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Red Sox extravaganza featuring retired short stop and third baseman Rico Petrocelli, Wally the Green Monster and the World Series trophies
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Muddy Bean Boots ice cream sampling
Friday, July 6th
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Olympic gold medalist Seth Wescott leads outdoor games alongside visits from famous Maine authors
- 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Farmer's Market and arts and crafts for the kids
- 2 p.m. – 9 p.m. Free concerts from local artists
Saturday, July 7th
- 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Local crafts, food and live entertainment for the all-day street festival
- 7:30 p.m. – 9 p.m. Concert with Chris Isaak
- 9 p.m. Fireworks
Getting to Freeport Maine
If you're already located in New England, a short and affordable ride on the Amtrak Downeaster may be right for you. The line will soon extend to Freeport and currently stops a short distance away in Portland. Children travel for $25 or less and seniors 62 and older receive half-off one-way coach fare. They are also partnered with L.L. Bean to offer a $150 gift card to a winning passenger who purchases two round-trip tickets and signs up for the Inside Track newsletter.
Should you decide to take a road trip to Freeport, FTF can direct you to some good eats along the way. If your Fourth of July is already booked, FTF says that L.L. Bean's Freeport flagship store is a summer-long destination. Additionally and on the Amtrak Downeaster, children travel free on Sundays through the end of June — so hurry up and travel!
Visit 100.LLBEAN.COM Before You Go
L.L. Bean is feeling generous because of their birthday. Thanks to the Million Moment Mission, the more kids and parents to join in the outdoor festivities the better, and especially better for the National Park Foundation, which will receive a $1 donation from L.L. Bean for every attendee. The experts on the outdoors have also been taking part in the Get Out(fitted) Gear Giveaway and will gift approximately $500 of outdoor equipment daily. Simply tell L.L. Bean online of your dream outdoor experience, and you may be one of the lucky winners.
Fully embrace the spirit of outdoorsmenship and camp nearby; please visit the Maine Tourism website for information on camp sites. Or, to pamper the whole family, check out one of the luxury oceanfront Maine resorts in the Preferred Family Hotels portfolio and take advantage of the family perks this program guarantees.
This story was accurate when it was published. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question, and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.