How you prepare for family road trips dictates whether these adventures will be fun-filled or a terrible chore that will leave you tired and frustrated. It’s important to ensure that you have properly prepared for your trip before hitting the road with your loved ones. Here are six tips for a successful family road trip.
1. Stay safe and comfortable
The foundation to making family road trips exciting for everyone is by prioritizing safety and comfort. Go out of your way to make the trip comfier by:
- Take your car for a tune-up so it is in the best working condition
- Give your car seats a boost. If you have kids, ensure you have a booster seat and comfortable baby carriers to keep your little ones safe at all times.
- Having a safety kit that contains first aid equipment, a flashlight, fully charged cell phone, drinking water, jumper cables, spare tire, and flares
- Packing smart by ensuring you have enough blankets, toiletries, change of clothes, extra pair of comfy shoes, convenient backpacks, and plenty of mess-free snacks and drinks for everyone.
Plot the routes you will take to your destination to avoid overstraining yourself or your loved ones by driving for long hours. Having better insights about your route will make it easier to determine when and where you should make your stops. A general principle is to make your family road trip stops in exciting areas to enable the entire family to make the most of these breaks.
Traveling with children is never easy, as they get bored and restless quickly, which is why you need to know the limits of your little ones. The younger your children are, the more stops you must be prepared to make on your family road trip. A good practice is to try out shorter trips with your children before embarking on a long road trip to know what to expect.
Regardless of how many hours you spend planning a family road trip, you must always be ready to make compromises. The odds are raised when you have kids as you need to pay attention to their needs, handle unexpected emergencies, and allow them to spend more time outdoors.
Aim to keep everyone entertained during those long drive hours by thinking about fun activities to do during the trip. Some of the best ways to go about this include:
- Having the family create a playlist for the trip
- Keeping the young ones engaged with some screen time
- Coming up with road games and challenges that will distract your little ones
- Using the trip as an opportunity for conversations
If you want to make your family road trip pleasant and peaceful, it is best to start your journey early in the morning or drive at night. Most importantly, you need to adhere to safe driving best practices such as switching drivers, getting enough sleep, and avoiding busy highways whenever you can.
Successful family road trips do not happen by accident, and by using these tips, you are guaranteed to make these adventures memorable.
Author Sammie Black loves road trips and wanted to share her tips on behalf of sponsor Diono, the source for baby carriers and gear for your travels.
Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.