The 2016 Family Travel Teen Travel Writing Scholarship is now closed, but you can READ THE WORK OF OUR 2016 SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS HERE. Check back for information about the 2017 scholarship, due to begin in June.
Do you have fun travel stories to share? We bet you do! Our 10th annual, simple-to-apply for, teen travel blogging scholarship offers cash grants for great writing.
Family Travel Forum (FTF), the trusted vacation planning resource, and the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW), a non-profit organization that promotes responsible journalism, are offering scholarships to encourage teens to share travel experiences in words and images.
Have you taken an unexpectedly wonderful -- or terrible but funny -- trip with your family? Or have you journeyed somewhere with a school group or sports team and have some advice on how to make the most of your experience or destination? Have you gone somewhere -- near or far -- that opened up new ways of looking at the world?
Family Travel Forum invites you to submit travel blogs that are serious, funny or contemplative, as long as they are informative.
The top winners will receive cash awards as well as a GoBag Travel Bag provided by Allianz Global Assistance USA. Twenty finalists will win honorable mention awards and travel gifts.
Watch our video on how to blog and then please read the Rules below carefully to ensure eligibility. Good Luck!
FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
- First Place: $1,000
- Second Place: $500
- Third Place: $250
- Leading travel insurance provider Allianz Global Assistance USA will also award the top three prize winners a "Go Bag" comprised of a GoPro, portable power pack and a passport holder with RFID protection
- 20 Honorable Mentions: Travel prizes including a subscription to Lonely Planet magazine which aims to inspire today's traveler through immersive storytelling, rich photography, practical advice and accessible travel ideas.
All winners will receive a Family Travel Forum Certificate of Commendation, and selected submissions will be published on Family Travel Forum's MyFamilyTravels.com website.
FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship Rules
Eligibility for FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
- All applicants must sign up for the MyFamilyTravels.com community prior to submitting an essay.
- All applicants must complete a profile on MyFamilyTravels.com and include a photograph of themselves
- Upon completion of your profile, you will be sent a message to the email address you have provided. Please be sure to check both your inbox and your spam box and respond to this email
- Applications will be accepted between June 1, 2016 and July 15, 2016.
- Applicants must be ages 13-18 and attending grades 8-12.
- Applicants must be attending junior high or high school in the United States or Canada, or an American international school abroad, or be enrolled in a U.S. homeschool program.
Submission Requirements for FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
- Travel blogs must be no more than 600 words in length, and the trip must have been taken in the last five years.
- Entries must include text and be illustrated by at least one photo, digital artwork or video. (In addition to the personal photograph on your profile).
- Travel essays must include practical details so that others can follow in your footsteps. Details should include names of attractions, museums, themeparks, resorts, restaurants, the local beach, etc. with URLs as appropriate.
- Travel blogs must be submitted online using the FTF Teen Travel Scholarship Essay Submission Form. Please create a strong, descriptive blog title, and use the editing tools provided to make paragraph breaks or add punctuation, and to upload your photos and or video.
- All applications must be received no later than 11:59pm ET on July 15, 2016. Late entries will not be considered.
- Your Travel blog must be your original creation and must not have been previously published.
- Multiple submissions are not allowed.
If you are notified that you are a Finalist, you will be contacted by September 9, 2016 and asked to send a copy of your transcript from your school, as well as a permission letter from your parents if you are under 18. More information about the Parent Permission Letter is available on the FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship FAQ page. These documents must be received by email, fax or snail mail by September 23, 2016.
Judging the FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
Travel blogs will be judged on originality, quality of expression, and a sense of place, as well as in accordance with standard rules of English grammar, mechanics and spelling. A panel of esteemed educators, professional writers and editors will make the final selection of winners.
- All applicants will be contacted by email when the Judges have completed selecting the Semi-Final round of essays and posted them online. Please update your online Account Info if your email address changes during the scholarship period.
- Only Finalists will be contacted for follow up documents to verify their eligibility.
The FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship Winners
If you are not contacted and wish to view the winning entries, please visit MyFamilyTravels.com after September 30, 2016 when the 2016 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and Honorable Mention essays will be announced.
The work of past Scholarship Winners is currently posted on the MyFamilyTravels Scholarship Page.