If your family is headed to Courchevel, Portes du Soleil, Serre Chevalier or other French Alps hotspots, or to Mont-Sainte-Anne, Le Massif or other snowsports regions in Quebec province, bring this guide along to have a few simple French phrases on hand.
Here are our key phrases for very important Snow Talk.
Useful English -> French Snowsports Vocab
- snowsports = sports de glisse
- snowboarding = surf des neiges
- snowboard = planche a neige
- rider = surfeur
- terrain park = snowparc
- half pipe = demi-lune
- alley oop = alley oop or cent quatre-vingts (180)
- snowsports school = ecole de glisse
- cross country skiing = ski de fond
- skating = patinage
- snowshoes = raquettes
- hot dog = chien chaud
- hot chocolate = chocolat chaud
- stop = arret
- daycare = garderie
- freeski = ski sauvage
- snowmobile = motoneige
- run = piste
Reading signs, studying trail maps, and discussing the day’s activities is a great way to engage your young foreign language learners in the family vacation.
This story was accurate when it was published. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question, and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.