Family Travel Forum’s picks have been compiled from more than a decade of “Top 10 Getaway Winners” to help your family begin their lifelong love of nature.
The following options combine a laid back, but active experience, with a commitment to educating kids and providing an enjoyable vacation at a variety of price points. Each provides housing and a myriad of supervised activities for parents and grandparents to do with children of all ages, ensuring a lot of fun memories from this type of old-fashioned, rustic and outdoors vacation.
1) Camp du Nord, Ely, Minnesota – Set in pine forestland on the shore of Lake Burntside, choose from roughing it in a tent to cabins with private kitchens, and join those who return as grandparents with their extended families for year-round camp activities.
2) Chaa Creek, San Ignacio, Belize – From thatch roof huts to fixed tents, this pioneering eco-resort provides the comforts of a rustic home to students of the rainforest.
3) Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp-Resorts, US & Canada – “Bear-Bones” cabins for six begin at $80 and lots of activities make going green fun at this family-oriented campground chain.
4) Montecito-Sequoia Lodge, California – Where old-fashioned summer camp fun and rustic lodging under towering sequoias continue to work for all ages as elders join the family mix.
5) Tyler Place, Vermont – Where phenomenal tinies’ through teens’ programs, a low-key atmosphere and fabulous food have kept repeat families coming back for over 75 years.
6) YMCA of the Rockies, Colorado – Endless organized activities, lessons and communal meals engage all ages, very affordably, in appreciation of the Estes Park outdoors.
7) Top Family Camps in the East – A round-up of top family camps in New England and the mid-Atlantic States
8) Top Family Camps in the Midwest – A round-up of top family camps in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
9) Top Family Camps in the South – A round-up of top family camps in Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, Tennesse and Texas.
10) Top Family Camps in the West – A selection of top family camps in Colorado and California.
This story was accurate when it was published. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question, and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.