Trip to New York - My Family Travels

      The date had finally arrived: March 5th 2008.  My dance company had been planning this trip to New York for over six months.  We would stay there for four days and see some of the most amazing sites in the world.  The Empire State Building, The Statue of Liberty, Radio City Music Hall, and Time Square were just among the few places we were headed. We were even going to see the broadway show, Hairspray, and one of the most famous modern dance companies in the world, Alvin Ailey.  It was my favorite modern dance company.  I was estatic! I couldn’t wait to go see the city I only saw through a screen.
         This was also a big step for me and my parents as well.  Turning 17, this was the first huge experience where I was being treated as a young, responsible adult, and be given a sense of freedom as I headed across the country alone, without my parents.
        As I packed my belongings, a few hours before I left, I began feeling a little cold and sick.  I was thinking it was probably nerves. My mom, being a nurse, packed me every medicine possible and a thermometer, just to be safe. To me, she was only exaggerating. 
       With our blessings and sad goodbyes left at the gate, I was off to New York City. Our first day we arrived, was completely packed with sites, such as the Statue of Liberty, Canal Street, and viewings of the city. Our last stop was the Empire State Building.  At that point, I felt so sick, I had to sit down. Sadly, the security guards didn’t allow us to sit, which meant I had to suffer standing up. 
        As the second day emerged, I felt sicker than I had ever felt in years. Thanks to my mom, I took the out the theromoeter and read the three digit number: 102.3.  As I went looking through my things looking for medicine, thinking I could survive the day, my teacher said I was to stay in the hotel for the day.
        When I called my mom to tell her the news, she was out of her mind worried. All she wanted to do was fly a plane out right away to be with me. But, when reality struck her, she knew that wasn’t possible. The next best thing was our phones connected to our ears. As I stayed in, I had missed the one day I had been waiting for: walking through Time Square, the Hairspray show, and the Alvin Ailey class.  I was truly devastated.
         The third and last days of my trip, I was forced back into the freezing New York City weather as I depended on water and Dayquil to get me through.   As I struggled through the day, my friends were there to help me as much as they could.
           You might think this sounds like a terrible trip, but to me it wasn’t at all.  One thing I noticed was how helpful the girls in my dance company were to me.  They would help me when I needed something and that meant a lot. Though, I think the one thing I really loved was how my mom was right there by my side, even though she was thousands of miles away. It really shows that she would do anything for me and I love her so much for that. The trip I had waited for wasn’t exactly the experience I was expecting, but it was definitely an experience nonetheless.

Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.

Comment on this article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.