My First Trip Out of the Country to Canada - My Family Travels

Quarter Finalist 2009 FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
September 12, I woke up at 3:30 am. This day was the day that my one dream was coming true.

September 12, I woke up at 3:30 am. This day was the day that my one dream was coming true. My dad packed up my suitcase into the car as I went back into the house to kiss my sleeping family goodbye. I was on my way to Vancouver, B.C., Canada. I had dreamed of going to Canada for years and this was the day I would be there. My great grandfather had an annual conference for long shore men and I was invited to help out my great-grandparents.

The rain hit our car as we drove to pick up my great-grandparents and their friend Nola. Our flight left a 6:00 am to our layover in Phoenix, Arizona. While sitting in the Oakland airport I was a bundle of nerves, I hadn’t flown in years. Finally our plane took off and I was calm for the time being. Getting off the plane in Phoenix, it was hot and humid. Getting to the next gate there was still a 3 hour wait for our flight to Vancouver. As we waited my anxiousness rose from within. The 3 hours flew past.

Another 3 hours later the plane touched the ground in Canada. Just the site of Air Canada on the planes made me smile. Before we could leave the airport we had to go through the department of immigration which asked why we had traveled to Canada. Finally after baggage claim I felt the Canada sunshine on my face. We climbed into the taxi and were off to Downtown Vancouver to enjoy our stay at the Holiday Inn. The drive allowed us to see all of the preparations being made for the Olympics 2010. Our first step in the hotel we were relieved, as if we were finally home. For the rest of our first day we slept off the jet lag.

Our next day, my grandparents and I ate breakfast in the hospitality room, provided by the Long Shore men hosts. Gloria, a friend of my great grandmothers, told us about how she had been here for a couple of days and she would take us shopping. I went to my room to tell my roommate Nola that we were going shopping. She sprang out of the bed in a hurry. Everyone met in the lobby and we walked to catch bus to the shopping area. It was 9 in the morning and we didn’t realize no stores opened until 10. We waited in the Vancouver Art Museum. Art is something I love, so I had no complaints. Once out all of the stores were open. We made our way down blocks of stores. Shopping consumed our day. Day two consisted of formal meetings and luncheons. Our third day we received a tour of all of Vancouver. At the end of the day everyone dressed up for the annual banquet. After a full course meal, everyone danced to the live band. The next day was our final day, the packing made everyone a little gloomy. We called for a taxi and headed to the airport. The rain poured just as it did on our departure. We said our goodbyes to Canada as the plane flew into the air.

It was a trip full of adventure and excitement. Nothing was drastically different than what we were use to. It was all easy to adjust. I was sad to leave the town known for the nicest people. I believe that’s what made me happy, knowing that everyone was nice and warming. I know I will visit again and view even more sites.

Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.

1 Reply to “My First Trip Out of the Country to Canada”

Comment on this article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.