My life has been excessively busy for a teenager and for a few years now, my parents promised me a “tropical vacation” once my college search concluded.That day finally came, and one Saturday, we visited a local travel agent and booked the vacation I had fantasized about.We traveled this past summer to stunning Riviera Maya, Mexico and stayed at the Grand Palladium – a beautiful all-inclusive resort that was really like four resorts combined into one. The size of the resort was so vast that it truly took several of our seven days to uncover all that it had to offer.
David Letterman is known for his Top 10 Lists. I thought I would outline for you the Top 10 Things I experienced while on vacation.
1.The water IS as blue as what you see in photos.I never imagined water could be so magnificently clear!We were actually able to see the sandy bottom of the ocean. The beaches are breathtaking.
2.Food is made to appeal to different cultures . . . so don’t expect the good old French fries made in Mexico will taste like those we enjoy in the U.S. But to be fair, the restaurants are good about making a variety of foods to satisfy the tastebuds represented from the many countries that visit their resort.
3.& The mosquitoes really can be man eaters – buy spray at home and bring it with you. Yes, you can find room in your luggage . . . trust me!
4. Swimming with the dolphins was an experience I will always remember. They are wonderful creatures. Laughing at my mother attempting to stand on the dolphins while they swam was memorable. She still remembers the gallon of salt water that she swears she swallowed.
5. I was very freaked out by those reptile creatures known as iguanas. But being the dog-lover I am, and after missing my two weimaraners from home, I thought I’d give them a chance. Did you know that they really like those dinner rolls served at the buffet restaurants? We practically had them eating out of our hands!
6. I learned that watching my favorite TV shows recorded on TiVo really isn’t all that necessary. Spending time with my family and enjoying the scenery was worth missing all those shows.
7.It is kind of cool swimming up to a pool bar and ordering a non-alcoholic margarita.
8. You don’t have to be annoyed by all the street vendors that approach you to buy things. This is just the way things are there. Everyone wants to make a sale. And, there is beautiful jewelry in Mexico!
9. There are many languages spoken from those visiting the resort. I have had nearly 4 years of Spanish in high school, but I discovered that I need to have a serious talk with my teachers and explain the need for recording our classes and then playing them back at 3x the normal speed. I now know that I have more to learn.
10. Who would have known that the houskeeping staff is so talented that they were able to make animals out of bath towels?! Elephants, swans, rhino’s . . . it was really cool to have a zoo right on your bed after you returned from a day at the beach.
Was my tropical vacation worth the wait?? Absolutely YES! I am already looking at the calendar for next summer to see when we might be able to make a return trip!
Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.