From Seattle to Boston - My Family Travels

During the spring of 2008, my mother and I decided that we would move from Seattle, WA to Boston, MA. It was an out of the blue decision because we wanted a change. In the past my mother and I moved from Seattle to Florida, Florida back to Seattle, from Seattle to Olathe, KS, and then back to Seattle. My mother is originally from Boston, but it was going to be a new experience for me. On the trip came my American Eskimo Dog, Gabe, and our bird, Honey. We followed I-90 all the way across to Boston.

We left on May 20th, and traveled the first day to Spokane, WA. My mother and I stopped for the night at the Red Lion hotel. When I took Gabe out that night to go ‘potty’ there was a suspicious looking man asking about Gabe, saying that he loved American Eskimos and that he previously made money off them. We went back in the hotel quickly after that.

The next day, the 21st, we headed for Billings, Mt. We stopped once to get gas and stuff to eat, and then kept driving until we arrived. Gabe actually was sedated most of the trip because he can get carsick. I had my permit through Washington, so I was able to drive through Montana. It was extremely fun because the speed limit is 85 mph, where as most normal highways in states are 60-70 mph.  That night we ate at Outback Steakhouse, and stayed at Best Western.

On the 22nd we drove from Billings to Sioux Falls, SD. It was over eleven hours of driving. We stayed at an awesome hotel with an arcade and an indoor water park attached to it. My mother let me drive to the store and we bought some cereal and milk. On the way back to the hotel we stopped and bought some French fries from a Mexican restaurant. I went to the water park for about two hours, and it was supposed to stay open for another hour or so, but there was a lightning storm so the hotel had to shut the water park down. I went to the arcade and won enough tickets to get thirty-four plastic vampire teeth.

From Sioux Falls, we drove to Elkhart on the 23rd. This day was actually uneventful. We were tired, and there was a lot of traffic going through Chicago, so we stopped for some fast food and continued on our way. It was another eleven hour day, so finally were too tired to drive and that night we stayed again at a Best Western.

Finally on the 24th, we passed the Massachusetts state border, but after a long day of traveling, we couldn’t make it to Boston. We stopped at a rest stop to get some Dunkin Donuts at around 8:30 pm. But when we started driving again, about thirty minutes later Gabe got car sick, so my mother pulled over on the side of the pitch black highway where cars and trucks were speeding by us. While cleaning up after Gabe, he got almost got lose in the traffic, but we were just able to grab him. That night we stayed at Best Western.

We arrived at our new house on May 25th, and started moving our furniture and boxes in that same morning. We were exhausted, but extremely happy to finally reach our goal. Because of this move, I realized that I love Boston and that I wanted to stay here for college.

Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.

Comment on this article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.