The Great Adventure; a Tale of Surprise - My Family Travels

There was the hustling and bustling, and all the great attributes that go along with getting ready to go on vacation. Our dad had just told my family that we were going to go on a little thing I like to call a “Great Adventure”. Apparently, my aunt who lives in Collinsville, New Jersey was on vacation for the week and she had agreed to let my dad use her house for the week. We got in the car about 5 hours later than we had planned, all exhausted. 2 days. 48 hours. One destination. We got to our destination at about 1am in the morning.  

It was next morning I didn’t know what had happened the previous night; my dad had probably dragged me to the bedroom. Our first day on our Great Adventure our family was going to visit the Jersey Shores. I had never heard about them so I was in for a surprise. Our family trooped up into the car and started driving. When we were about one half of the way there my dad realized we needed gasoline. So, as a normal person would he pulled in the gas station, but before he was able to even open his door, a man started taking the gas cap off and loading our car.
This could only mean one thing, burglar! We all started freaking out! My dad stepped out and had a little talk with the man. It ended up that in New Jersey they do it differently, the gas station worker fills your car up for you. My dad wouldn’t allow it. He told the worker he could do it himself. The worker seemed unsure and mad. My dad said he wasn’t use to letting the customer fill the tank, but I knew it was because he wanted tips.
After that adventure we got in the car and in no time were at the shores. I enjoyed the next 5 hours playing water games with my family in the ocean, and walking and eating at the board walk at Cape May.
That day couldn’t have gotten any better. I knew I was going to have a blast tomorrow when we went to New York City.
The next day as I was getting ready to brush my teeth. It hurt so badly! Suddenly I was on the ground screaming.
My mom helped me up and with pain in my eyes I looked and saw a thick splinter in my foot. The next hour was spent trying to get the wood out of its new home. With out any success my siblings were getting anxious. I told them to go on with out me but my mom wouldn’t allow it. We kept on trying the hot water and tweezers method. After so much pain, thinking this could be my last day my mom got the splinter out. When she pulled it out I was relieved but horrified. The wood piece had to be at least 1 in. long! But, I lived.
I didn’t need to write that will I thought I needed. We soon left for New York City. It was a blast. As if I hadn’t had enough fun already our family bought 12 ice cream sandwiches, each eating 3 while sitting in Battery Park with the view of the Statue of Liberty. Throughout the rest of the day we visited Time square, Radio City Music Hall, cite of the World Trade Center, and Tiffany’s.
Soon our Great Adventure ended, and to this day that is my fondest memory that I have spent with my family.

Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.

Comment on this article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.