This past summer, my grandparents took me on an amazing trip to China where we visited the four cities of Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. This blog is to commemorate my travels and explain to you the beauty and wonders of China.
- About 24 hours of traveling from the East Coast of the U.S. to Beijing.
- Arrived at our hotel late at night, greeted by friendly Chinese and Jasmine tea
- Took a tour of Hutong (neighborhoods) where we visited a family's home.
- Saw how porcelain is made
- Visited the Bell Tower and watched the dancers perform the afternoon drum ceremony
- Saw how tea is made, enjoyed 6 different kinds of tea, my favorite was rose tea.
- Went to Da Dong for their famous and delicious pecking duck
- Walked through Tiananmen Square
- Forbidden City
- Practiced using chopsticks, with not much luck
- Summer Palace-dragon boat
- Abbreviated Chinese Opera
- Ming Dynasty tombs
- Great Wall of China
- Saw how silk is made
- Temple of Heaven; walked through the surrounding park and saw Tai Chi and dancing
- Pearl Market-great bargaining
- Flew to Xi'an at 3:00 pm
- Terracotta Warriors and exhibit
- Oldest Mosque in China
- Bazaar, full of street food, stores, and even caged birds
- Tang Dynasty Diner Show
- Flew from Xi'an and arrived in Shanghai
- Shanghai Museum-paintings, calligraphy, pottery, wood carvings
- Tourist Tunnel-under Huangpu River
- High Tea at the hotel
- Dragon and Phoenix Restaurant for Dinner
Views of the incredible architecture on our river cruise!
- Temple-four different rooms for different Buddhas
- French Concession-shopping and lunch
- Traditional Chinese tea house-visited by Queen Elizabeth
- Gardens surrounding tea house
- Acrobatic show
- Shanghai Zoo, saw adorable pandas
- Shopping on Nanjing Street
- Walked along the Bund
- River Cruise
- Arrived in Hong Kong, saw how tropical and lush it was and I could now use Facebook! (Hong Kong citizens have different rights than citizens in the rest of China).
- The Peak at Victoria Harbor, wonderful views
- Fishing Village
- Saw how jade is carved
- Stanley Market, bargains
- Beggar's Chicken for dinner-wrapped in lotus leaf
- River Cruise and light show
View from the peak.
- Another temple-lots of incense
- Museum of how tea is made
- Bird aviary
- Visited Lantau Island-bus ride, pretty scenery
- Another fishing village
- Another temple, lit incense, made a wish
- Largest sitting Buddha in the world
- Another temple at the monastery (we just love those temples, can't you tell?)
- Jade Market
- Lunch at the Peninsula
- Hong Kong Museum of Art-traditional and modern
- Star Ferry
- Ritz-Carlton for diner, the highest hotel in the world!
- Left early to fly home
HERE IS A LIST OF TEH HOTELS WE STAYED IN; ALL WERE NICE BUT MY PERSONAL FAVORITE WAS THE ONE IN SHANGHAI!
- Beijing: Raffles Hotel Beijing: http://www.raffles.com/en_ra/property/rbj
- Xi'an: Sofitel: http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-5949-sofitel-xian-on-renmin-square/index.shtml
- Shanghai: Fairmont Peace Hotel: http://www.fairmont.com/peacehotel
- Hong Kong: JW Marriot: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hkgdt-jw-marriott-hotel-hong-kong/
Helpful websites I used to find the attractions I wanted to visit
Excellent Tour Company
Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.