Colorado is kicking off Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month with a thorough roundup of the many great deals available to learners across the state. Whether you’re interested in snowboarding, skiing or cross-country; or you’re age 6 or 60; many of the 21 member ski areas and resorts in Colorado Ski Country USA want to make it cheap and easy for people to learn winter sports.
Locals and visitors will find package deals on rentals, lift tickets, and professional instruction organized by Colorado’s snowsports industry marketing group. Local families can take advantage of programs that reward successful first-time learners with a complimentary season pass after completion of a multi-day lesson program.
Here is the CSCUSA summary of the Learn to Ski and Snowboard activities and offerings at member ski areas in Colorado.
Learn to Ski & Snowboard Month deals
Every Sunday in January and February, Arapahoe Basin will have special lesson and rental packages for first-time skiers and riders. All packages include lift ticket, rental and lesson. Lessons are half-day, morning only (10:00am-12:30pm). For information on A-Basin’s Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month deals, visit the site.
- One Run Lessons – Guests at A-Basin of any age and ability are matched with an instructor for one run from the Black Mountain Express lift to the base area between 1:30pm and 3:30pm. The purpose of this lesson is to suggest minor changes or improvements to the guest’s technique, and to introduce the guest to our Snowsports instructors. Sign-up is first come, first served, same-day. Dates include: January 4, January 25, February 8, and March 8, 2015.
Buttermilk Deluxe Package
Join Aspen Snowmass for a special private lesson package on Buttermilk while they prepare for and host the Aspen Winter X Games. For $379, participating guests will receive a full-day private lesson and can bring up to four of their friends/family. The package includes:
· One set of equipment rental from Four-Mountain Sports Buttermilk to be used with lesson (one person only).
· One lift ticket to be used with lesson on Buttermilk (one person only).
· One discount coupon for lunch at either The Cliffhouse or Bumps restaurants.
· One discount coupon for selected products at Four-Mountain Sports Buttermilk.
· Full day private lesson for up to 5 family or friends.
Valid January 10 through February 1, 2015. Reservations and pre-payment are required.
Ski and Ride School University: No More Excuses for Winter Sport Never-Evers
Inspired by National Learn to Ski and Ride Month, Ski and Ride School U offers newbies ages 16 and up a hassle-free and affordable option to catch the winter bug. For $199 the package includes:
• Three ski or snowboard lessons;
• Lift tickets;
• Equipment rentals;
• Close-in parking; and
• Lunch on the 2nd and 3rd day.
Upon graduation and completion of the third lesson, Copper will award participants a free season pass so guests can progress further on the slopes for the remainder of the winter. Quantities are limited, must be purchased in person at Copper Mountain.
Adult First Time Beginner Adventure Lesson
During the month of January, first time skiers and riders, ages 15 and older can sign up for an Adult First Time Beginner Adventure lesson with the Crested Butte Ski + Ride School for $59 through the popular ski deals website Liftopia. The package includes a 1-day adult lift ticket, valid for limited lift access on the day of the lesson. The offer is limited to one voucher per person.
Multi-day Lesson and Equipment Rental Packages for Children and Adults
Eldora Mountain Resort (EMR) is offering the Mountain Explorer 6PAK children’s learn to ski and snowboard package for $540. The 6PAK includes six days of all mountain lift tickets, all day rentals, and all day lessons, with snacks and lunch. Reservations are recommended.
- For adults, EMR is offering the EASY 1-2-3 3PAK for $199. The 3PAK includes three days of lower mountain lift access, all day equipment rentals and 2-hour lessons. Visit the Eldora Daily Lessons page for more information.
Loveland – Phone reservations are available at 800-736-3SKI or register at the Loveland Valley between 8am and 9am.
3-Class Pass For Kids
All children (ages 4-14) regardless of ability, who pre-purchase or complete 3 full day lesson packages, receive a free, unrestricted season pass to keep practicing their skiing or snowboarding skills for the rest of the season. Children’s full day lesson packages include lesson, lift access, rentals (ski or snowboard) and lunch. Full day lessons are from 10am through 3:30pm daily. Pre-Purchase Price: $321 for ages 6-14 skiers & snowboarders (Includes Season Pass); $345 for ages 4-5 skiers (Includes Season Pass)
- 3-Class Pass for Newcomer Adults – The 3-Class Pass for adult first-time skiers or snowboarders is now available for pre-purchase. The pre-purchased package includes one All Day Newcomer and two half day Master the Mountain lesson packages. Upon completion of their third lesson, guests will receive a full, unrestricted Loveland Season Pass. Lesson packages include lesson, all-day lift access and equipment rental. Pre-Purchase Price: $316 (Includes Season Pass)
- Adult Novice/Intermediate 3-Class Pass – The Pre-Purchase program includes three 1/2-day Master the Mountain, full lesson packages, and an unrestricted Season Pass valid all season upon pre-purchase. Lesson packages include lift access and rental equipment, (ski or snowboard). Pre-Purchase Price: $456 (Includes Season Pass)
Monarch Mountain celebrates Learn to Ski & Snowboard Month with affordable learn to ski and ride packages at the Monarch Mountain Ski and Ride School. Pricing begins at $50 for a half day youth group lesson.
Learn to Ski or Snowboard Series Presented by Grand Junction Free Press
This series is for first timers new to the sports of skiing and snowboarding. This affordable program is for any skier from age five years old and up, or any snowboarder age seven years old and up. For $149, participants will take three full-day lessons (including lift ticket and equipment rental) during any three days throughout the season. After completion of the series, participants will be awarded a non-transferable Graduate Card valid for 50 percent off any future lessons, lift tickets and equipment rentals for the remainder of the season.
Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort
Discounted Beginner Packages with a Guarantee or You Learn for Free
Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort is offering a guarantee for new skiers and snowboarders to learn the sport at a discounted rate. For $75 from Jan. 5- 31, 2015, beginners receive a full-day lesson, lift ticket, gear rental, lunch voucher, and discounts for future lessons, rentals, etc. Participating guests save as much as 50 percent or $74 off the regular price. This year’s program includes a guarantee that beginner snowboarders or skiers (ages 7 and older) will learn to turn, stop and ride the beginner lift after completing a second day of lessons, and if not, they get another full-day lesson for free.
- After the first day of lessons, participants receive a card good for discounts on lessons, lift tickets and rentals for the remainder of the season through April 5, 2015. These discounts are for use of the LSSM participant only and include a 5-day lesson punch card valid for 20 percent off full- or half-day lessons; 37 percent off lift tickets; and 20 percent off ski or snowboard rentals (blackout dates apply: 2/14/15 – 2/15/15 and 3/16/15 – 3/20/15).
Three Lessons to a Season Pass
Ski Cooper’s 3 Lessons to a Season Pass Program is available as a first time snow experience for those who have never skied or snowboarded before. Upon completion of the 3rd lesson, participating guests qualify to receive a Ski Cooper 2014-2015 Season Pass. This program is intended for a first time snow sport experiences only and geared toward adults.
Ski Granby Ranch
Get on the Snow
Ski Granby Ranch is offering a special program called Get on the Snow for $199. Participating guests will receive two days of lessons and will ski and ride free at Granby Ranch for the rest of the season with a complimentary season pass. In addition guests will receive a 20 percent discount coupon valid for a retail merchandise purchase. Black out dates apply (MLK & President’s Day Weekend), and reservations are required.
January Learn to Ski/Ride Package
Guests at Steamboat can build confidence while they learn in a safe, controlled, terrain-based environment with instructors that guide them every step of the way. Steamboat’s Learn to Ski/Ride Package opens the slopes with two days of lessons, rentals and lift tickets for just $199 from Jan. 5-31. For more information, visit the site or call 800/299.5017.
Learn to Shine Program
Sunlight’s Learn to Shine program includes a lift ticket, lessons and rentals for three days. Once participants complete their three lessons, they will receive a 5-day pass to use at Sunlight any time during the season with no blackout dates. At $375, the three lessons can be taken on dates of the guest’s choice, whether those dates are consecutive or not. Skiers and snowboarders that participate in the Learn to Shine program are matched with top-notch instructors and will be navigating beginner terrain by the end of their first day. For more information, call 800/445-7931 or visit the site.
Kid’s Multi-Week Lessons
Winter Park Ski + Ride School’s multi-week Fish Programs can accommodate children from age 3 to 14. With the 7 week Piranhas Program, 5 week Barracudas Program, or the 3 week Minnows Program, kids will have a blast while making new friends, and developing new skills on the slopes. Groups are broken down by age and ability level, from beginner to expert. Programs include instruction from the same coach each week, GPS tracking, and lunch. Four-day programs for the month of January begin at $249.
Camp Robbers Clinic for Kids
Wolf Creek Ski Area offers a variety of ski and snowboard packages to help introduce never-evers to the sport. During the month of January, Wolf Creek is offering a four-week Camp Robbers clinic for kids. For $231 ($264 for non-Season Pass holders) lift ticket, ski rental, four hours of instruction, lunch, and snacks are all included each week. Children will be grouped with the same children and instructor each week for the clinic. Not only will the kids improve on their skills, but also this class design will encourage socialization and friendship over the four-week span. Mountain safety, fun races, and a terrain garden are all featured in this program.
For more information on other Colorado ski areas and to see mountain vacation options in other states, visit our roundup of Top Family Ski and Snowsports Vacations.
This story was accurate when it was published. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question, and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.