Going to the Bahstun Hahbah - My Family Travels

On Friday, August 8th, 2008, I went to the upper east coast.  Yes, I am referring to Boston, home of Pahl Reveah, Fenway Pahk, and Cheahs.  This vacation was more exciting for me than past vacations because I was traveling with my aunt instead of my family.  Freedom and independence were thriving both in me and the historic city I was about to visit. 

          When my aunt Marilyn and I arrived in Boston, her niece was there to pick us up and drive us through the city.  We ate at a little restaurant not far from the ocean. Understanding the waiter was quite a difficult task while ordering because he had a very thick Boston accent.  This soon became a recurring issue throughout the trip, but it was funny trying to understand what the natives of the city were saying.  Again, when we were walking back to the car, we encountered a man at a whale watching booth talking about tours on the “hahbah.”  My aunt was so confused and it took her a good two minutes to realize that ‘hahbah’ in Boston-talk actually meant harbor, (yes, with the “r”), to us non-Bostonians. 

           We decided on spending some time with family over the weekend, but once Monday came, we were off to the city! Unfortunately, we never actually made it out of Hopkinton, the town we were staying in, because we got lost on our way to the train station.  But Tuesday was an adventure in the making.  Waking up around 7:30 was not the best way, in my opinion, to start the day, but once we were off the train, I had a smile on my face.

          Most of our first day was spent walking the Freedom Trail.  We stopped in Old North Church, which is where Paul Revere hung the lanterns, (one by land, two by sea), during the Revolutionary War.  Getting a trolley pass was helpful because our feet really hurt after that one day, and we still had three days of walking ahead of us.  Wednesday and Thursday were spent exploring the Freedom Trail again. Along the way, we visited Paul Revere’s home, ate in “Little Italy”, and we even met a Benjamin Franklin impersonator!  If we did not feel like walking anymore, we would just hop on the trolley and hear what the tour guide had to say about the city.  By the end of the three days, we were completely wiped out. But Friday was still on the horizon. 

           Friday went a little differently than the rest of the week.  Whale watching was on the agenda in the morning, and that was just the beginning. Even though none of the whales breached, it was still exciting.  Later in the day, my aunt and I went to see Fenway Park.  As we walked closer and saw it from a distance, I became more excited then I was at the mere thought of it.  Sadly, we did not get to watch a game, but I took pictures from behind the green monster in the outfield.  When the pictures were done being taken, we went back home to rest our tired feet.

          My vacation ended that Sunday with an 8 o’clock flight back home to Chicago.  My experiences in this unknown city were unforgettable, and so were the accents.  They were interesting and at the same time it was like taking a real life history tour.  Our trip made me feel independent and spontaneous.  This was the summer adventure that will be remembered forever. 




Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.

Comment on this article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.