Trip to California - My Family Travels

Early Tuesday morning on June 23, 2009, what was supposed to be an exciting day, turned into a dreadful one. We arrived at the Harrisburg airport at 5:30 in the morning to catch a flight that was at 7 o’clock. As we watched our luggage being loaded on the plane, everything seemed fine. About an hour later we were told they were having technical difficulties with the computer, therefore our flight was delayed. It was only 6:30, I was tired and decided to take my pillow to the floor and fall asleep. The next thing I knew it was time to board the plane and head to our first destination, Charlotte, North Carolina.

Walking off the plane into the airport we ran to try and catch our next flight to Phoenix, Arizona. Running to the gate that was on the other side of the airport did us no good. We missed our flight by two minutes, so instead of going straight to Phoenix we were sent to St. Louis, Missouri. From there we finally were on a plane to Phoenix. After arriving in Phoenix our next flight was to Flagstaff. This flight was the best one all day. Loading onto what they call a puddle jumper, there were maybe twenty-five people on our flight. The flight attendant was funny; he made so many jokes while telling us the normal instructions.

Instead of arriving at our hotel at 1:30 we got there around 8 o’clock. The next day was better we took the rental car and drove to the Grand Canyon. We spent most of the day there, the sites were so pretty. After going there, we started to drive to our next and final destination, San Diego, California. Along the way we drove past Hoover Dam and through Las Vegas. Hoover Dam wasn’t the greatest site because of all the construction but Las Vegas was Awesome.

Driving into San Diego, we found our hotel and put our luggage in the room and got settled. The day wasn’t over yet though, my pappy and I had to take the rental car back to Flagstaff then catch another plane back to San Diego. The ride back seemed as if it took forever. Even though we were on a highway, we were in the middle of nowhere. There were cacti everywhere along the road and piles of sand and stone that looked like mountains. About the time we got to the airport it was time to board the plane and head back to San Diego. Getting back to San Diego it was close to the end of the day, there was nothing more to do than relax.

We spent about a week in California with Church Conference. It was then time to head back to Pennsylvania. This trip was far less complicating than the first. Form San Diego we flew into Atlanta, Georgia and we on time. Then from there we got on a plane and flew in to Baltimore where we picked up and driven to Newport, Pennsylvania. When we got back to Perry County, I never thought I would be as happy as I was to be home.

Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.

Comment on this article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.