Going with the Flow - My Family Travels

 Even with the Gecko, lost luggage, missed flight, unplanned night in Denver, and serious nausea, it’s my favorite vacation ever.  Those who know me know I love vacations and I love to plan and prepare things, it’s both a blessing and a curse.  So, upon hearing I could plan for my mom and me to go to Disneyworld, I nearly wet my pants. I’m sorry if that last statement was offensive, but I love Disneyland as much as potatoes love gravy.

After months of planning, the day of departure arrived. Of course I was up at the crack of dawn, ready to jump up and down on mom’s bed. We arrived at the airport in Orlando after a seven hour flight from Pasco, we were tired and it was almost midnight. A sleek Disney travel bus was our carriage to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, where we would be staying the next ten days. The lodge was more spectacular than I had seen in any book or website. The lodge embodied the spirit of Africa; the lobby was enormous, beautifully crafted, and tribal. Even though it was midnight, we could see wild animals outside the huge convex window that rose high to the raftered ceiling. On our way to the room we grabbed a midnight dinner of Fritos and Almond Joys out of desperation.

Waking up to wildlife at our backdoor, we took dozens of pictures just from the balcony alone, mostly of the passerby giraffes. The view was a great way to kick off the first of our ten days and we were raring and ready to go check out the theme parks.  Bus rides to the parks included noisy children, crying babies, and colorful vocabularies from frustrated couples, I just looked outside imagining where we were going and how much fun we’d have. Running around parks made us grateful to climb into our beds at night. About to fall asleep, I spotted a trespasser on the wall.  It may have been only five inches long, but for us, that was five inches too long. Long story short, a stubborn Gecko was among us and we weren’t   going to sleep with the Geico spokesman, so we moved to a new room.

For eight straight days my Mom and I were unstoppable, we wanted to do everything we could which was impossible due to the size of the parks and all they had to offer.  Nevertheless, we did as much as we could with our time, and due to my weak stomach and a bowl of gumbo; I was deep in a state of nausea for the last two days. I was a miserable sight on the plane, staring at the airsick bag and hoping it would stay empty. Our plane from Orlando to Denver was late, we ran to catch our flight, myself about to upchuck and my frantic mom running ahead of me. Needless to say, we missed our flight, but we were put up in a fantastic hotel in Denver. Finally home, my dad greeted us at the small airport in Pasco. I was so happy to see him, and my mom was  happy the chaos was over. At baggage claim we came to find our bags were stuck in Denver and would be here as soon as possible.

 While I’m a huge planner and organizer, I realized on this trip that not everything goes along swimmingly. Since then, I have down-scaled my monopolizing travel agent status and have eased into a more open minded attitude that it’s okay to have some bumps in the road. 

Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.

Comment on this article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.