My Cross Country Road Trip in May-June 2007 - My Family Travels
me and my dad

Hello Everyone!

My name is Allie Nicole Cremer and I am applying for a scholarship for college. I will discuss my marvelous adventures of exploring the United States and what the country had to offer. My family and I decided to go on a cross-country road trip in the year of 2006. I was thirteen years old at the time, and I was ecstatic about learning, specifically in American history. The family members that came along were my mother, my father, and our shih tzu, Ginger. We also had a motive to go since my brother, Jeremey was going to be getting married to my sister-in-law Jessica. We took the advantage and decided to pursue this endeavor.

This expedition began on May 25th, 2007. I had to miss two weeks of school enable to leave this early. May 25th was a Friday and we left at 11:30 A.M. Our primary stop was in Needles, California. Our hotel was the Days Inn and Suites at 1215 Hospitality Lane, 92363. The total distance from San Jose to Needles was 509.95 miles and took seven hours and fifty-three minutes. We drove straight through and we stopped every two hours enable to stretch our legs. We ate food in the car and only stopped for gas, restrooms, and coffee. For dinner, we had heated up Progresso soups, in the lobby. The weather was great, not too hot and not too cold. We went to bed early for a great head start!

On Saturday May 26th, we left Needles for Albuquerque at 7:45 in the morning. The distance from Needles to Albuquerque, New Mexico was a distance of 526.62 miles. It took about seven hours and eleven minutes to get there. In the midst of traveling, my mother and I shopped for wedding shoes. There was two story malls, a bunch of coffee places, and of course the wonderful Route 66 surroundings. The canyons were beautifully created and sculpted. I felt like I was in a movie. The scenery was depicted unrealistic, I could not believe it. Our place for the night was the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel was clean, and the whole city was cleaner than I had expected. I had a lot of growing experiences with the Southwest influence. I felt a sense of community and the residents were quite nice and showed great senses of hospitality. We ate lunch in transit to New Mexico. We had Taco Bell for dinner, not authentic Mexican food, but it was convenient to eat. It was another great day of traveling and there was great weather.

On Sunday May 27th, our journey continued as we went to leave for Oklahoma City. We left at 9:30 in the morning. We started leaving later and later because of the time changes. As we traveled to Oklahoma, our new dvd player conked out. Good, reliable Wal-mart was near by so we got a good one for cheap but it turned out to be a great on spot buy. We went through Texas, specifically the American Pan handle. We stopped at Stuckey’s for gas and bathroom stop. The bathrooms had large sheets of paper for people to write about their vacations and excursions. We also stopped at Dairy Queen for ice cream. We had hit 100 degree weather. The Texas residents were quite friendly and I loved their southern accents. We made homemade lunches so it was a nice break from fast food. We saw a cross in the middle of the fields throughout our excursion. We planned on going to Graceland in Tennessee and we were gaining excitement as time passed by. Also we ate the first Cracker Barrel, we saw. The food was amazing, I discovered my love for soul food. We dealt with rain for the time on the trip. It was a long day but adrenaline kept us going. We traveled a mere 540.87 miles and we stayed at the La Quinta Inn.

On Monday May 28th, we left around 9:00 for Memphis, Tennessee. It rained in Oklahoma City and in Arkansas. In Arkansas, it rained heavily to the point where the windshield was white. The people pulled over and we slowed down to forty miles an hour until it passed. It sent thrills and exhilaration through this experience. We have a satellite radio where we listened to Elvis all day long. As each day goes on, we have more fun. My parents were drinking a lot of coffee enable to keep the adrenaline going. We would stop for pictures, to stretch, to walk the dog, and to use the bathroom. We got pizza and the people were really friendly. We stayed at the Comfort Inn and we had a living room with a kitchenette. There was also great breakfasts. I had waffles with whipped cream and strawberries! The total distance was 483.62 miles and it took seven hours to get there. We also stayed May 29th and part of May 30th.

On Wednesday May 30th, our family left Memphis around 8:30 A.M. We arrived in Bristol, Virginia and than traveled to Warrenton, Virginia. The drive was about eight hours. We had to check into the Holiday Inn Express and it was quite fanciful. My dad went to get a tuxedo being he is the father of the groom. The fitting went well considering that he arrived at ten to our hotel. We had salads for dinner and had our excitement levels rise for the wedding day.

On June 1st, we had another exciting day. We went to my brother’s and sister-in-law’s rehearsal dinner for the wedding and also afterwards we went to an exquisite restaurant and had a lovely dinner. We had a wonderful salad, satisfying chicken, mashed potatoes, and vegetables. For dessert, we had exquisite chocolate mousse. We got to meet up with Jessica’s other side of the family and Jeremey’s other side of the family, It was an exciting day.


Dear Reader: This page may contain affiliate links which may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Our independent journalism is not influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative unless it is clearly marked as sponsored content. As travel products change, please be sure to reconfirm all details and stay up to date with current events to ensure a safe and successful trip.

Comment on this article

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.